Recomendations from an old DM...

Well Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this forum but I'm enjoying FRP games as much as I know myself. We played a lot with my friends and after obeying rules for certain time the rules of D&D and other systems couldn't meet our needs. So we changed the things in systems. I'm writing this because I want to play a game worth of my time and money. But more importantly I want to contribute this game. Ok let's start with Baldur's Gate!

Baldur's Gate:

Why I like Baldur's Gate is the real question. Of course there are some things could be better but I dont know any other game that I love more. In Baldur's Gate character's had some soul. This is very important because you always know there is a background for each of them and there are things they like and they dont. They are under your control but if you try keep pure good and pure evil in same party you will lose one of them. This is exciting. Also the drawings... Ah those drawings... In Baldur's Gate every item have a hand drawing specific to it's kind. And unlike the Diablo there are unique items! It's very important because after a hard quest you achieve an unique sword and no one have it! Lilarcor yes consider Lilarcor the talking sword. That sword was nice to have becase there is no other Liracor in the world. There is only one and it has a history. Also the other important thing is seeing items on you. In some games whatever you wear you look the same. Whats the point having a full plate mail or having a full plate mail +3 if they both seem same? NPC's should respect the items on you and thiefs should think to rob you while thinking "If that man have the Carsomyr I shouldn't mess with him" The other thing is about wizard kind; each school have different words for casting a spell. It should be better to say something different for each spell but thats more than nothing. I like to hear different thing for different spells. Versataility is another thing players shouldn't be limited by certain classes I should choose my characters build. Of course there should be some consequences. It shouldn't be easy to cast a spell while wearing full plate armor and while not having the specific feats. The other thing we change in our FRP games is death. Death should be easy if you are not protected properly. Level 18 fighter have 200 Hp ok, Level 1 fighter have 8 Hp ok. But every man dies if shot from head :D Level is not something about immortality. Also the ability grading system? Strength of a human could be maximum 18 and a rabbit or a turtle is 2 maybe 3? Oh come on already! If we say average human have 10 strength then 100 bunny could kill me :D The grades must have a larger interval 1-18 interval is not enough to show difference 1-1000 maybe better. Just saying. We always used 100 grade system because it is better in games to show differences. And feats we didnt use feats in a classic way. Every character could try to do something but if he or she is doing that thing first time in his/her life the difficulty percentage is very high for him/her. So If you cast magic missile spell under harsh conditions like in combat or while moving or facing an enemy you need experience with practice not with xp points. If you could do it 100 times without failing you have that feat else you will always have a certain probability to fail. The other thing is races. Why every elf or human have the same racial bonuses? There should be standart bonuses Im ok with that but arent we all unique? A mans eye may not be as sharp as an eagle but maybe clever as Einstein or vice versa. So after having racial bonuses we shoul select some other things to customize our character. It's always good to have negative things in your character by this way its more fun to play. Shaking hands, alcohol problem, gambling addiction, aracniafobia, etc. This will sure things that gives some color to games! I have much in my mind but I'm sure game developers understood my point. Good luck we are waiting for some kick ass game. I will be happy if I have a single help here. I remember I wrote my own player's hand book but it has been years since I last saw it. If I could find my book I will send it. Maybe I should publish it :D Well take care, and thank you for reading this long article.

Vardthlokkur

Constructive Criticism:

Paragraphs are your friend if you want people to read what you write, and they allow you to organize your thoughts better.

I humbly suggest you break up the above wall of text into a few more easily readable paragraphs.

• Like 5

You have some interesting ideas and thoughts but like the poster above stated you really need to use paragraphs because this was hard to read.

"How was I supposed to know it was that stone that held the dragons at bay... I mean it just stood there looking dull anyway"

• 2 years later...