When I think of a wizard wearing armor...  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Imagine you are a wizard and you can select any armor you whant. Which armor would you select?

• Robes / Padded armor: I'm a wizard and dont want to look like a figther / rogue
    • Leather armor / Studded leather armor: I like leather, i'm a stealthy spellcaster
    • Hide: I like even exotic and naturelike armor
    • Scale: I want the armor made from the scales of my last victory vs. a migthy dragon
    • Chain / Splint: good-looking metal is good for me
    • Plate/ Field Plate / Full Plate: Im a magic figther haha!
  2. 2. So your not just picking in armor because of the look but also because of its advantages. Which advantage would you like most if given from an armor?

• Relative melee damage reduction: the better the armor, the more strokes I can take
    • Relative missile damage reduction: the better the armor, the more arrows can strike me
    • Chance to be hit by a melee weapon decreases
    • Chance to be hit by a ranged weapon decreases
    • Damage resistance vs. fire / cold / electricity
    • (Damage) resistance vs. magic
    • Better attributes (f.e. strength or dexterity)
    • Other (please specify)
  3. 3. So you are a mage figthing with your chosen armor now. How should you like to figth in combat when playing a wizard wearing an armor

• The same as always: I cast my spells until the enemies die
    • I'm protected from damage now, so I dont need summons / buffs now, I can attack immidiately
    • I cast spells to improve my figthing abilities than I run to the next foe to ram it into the ground
    • I dont need a party now, I can play the whole game (and all figths) alone
    • I attack sometimes with magic and sometimes with physical weapons. It makes the game more interesting.

This poll makes some assumptions I find fallacious. i.e. That a given type of armor can only provide damage reduction from a single specific source (either melee or ranged projectiles, but not both.) A standard bow and arrow is not particularly effective against a suit of plate, just as a standard slashing sword is not. A musket, on the other hand, is so effective that steel plate was abandoned in favor of brightly colored cloth costumes (because in the face of firearms, why bother?)

Select any armor I want? M1A2 Abrams tank.

I imagine the penalties for boresighting to target your spells from inside the tank are going to be huge.

I don't really care what the bonus for a specific armor is. Be it +50% damage resistance, +6 to sheer badassery or +25 anti-meta-spell-penetration-resilience, as long as armored spell-caster builds are going to be viable and competitive I'll be fine with it.

Isn't it a given that this tank is fully fueled and armed, if not crewed?

Edited by AGX-17

Easy solution, make armor use skill dependant, and make it an expensive skill. Make the spell casting schools expensive skills as well. But that would probably make the game much more skill oriented than is intended now.

I dislike armor use skill because it's a bit like a shoe use skill. Some other solution would be preferable.

I agree with this. Only "real" skills. No checking for 1353 different skills every 5 minutes in the game please.

You have to learn how to move in armor too, what armor restricts you in what ways, how to dodge etc. If you don't have a problem with weapon skills, armor skill shouldn't be too far out.

Make it one skill, and make it reduce the penalties you get from wearing armor vs. unarmored (lowered dodge skill, weapon skill, magic skill), where heavier armor inflicts greater penalties.