Or... what if the Stamina system is designed to protect a really small number of hit points? A realistic system (or, at least, mirroring what might happen IRL) where instead of having 60 stamina and 80 hp you have 80 stamina and like 6 hp.

Normal fighting could use stamina as you jostle for position, block, parry and generally get worn out, and then a lucky/critical strike with the sword could do 3hp damage (lowering your health by 50%).

I always thought it was strange that in RPGs that the chief bad guy can take 1000hp damage rather than my rogue being able to assassinate him with one well-placed stealth arrow...

...and it would make mobs super dangerous as you have to protect your flanks to avoid being 1-hitted by an attack of opportunity by intelligent opponents.

The concept behind this system is to make health a tactical consideration while avoiding rest-spamming. Obsidian could design the game so that the only way to heal lost health is to rest in an inn or some dedicated facility in a town, not just via camping (or possibly only partial health regen from camping). Therefore a low hitpoint system wouldn't make a great deal of sense. Of course a lot of this will be based on how often we will be able to rest.

They could make hitpoints accrue at a slower rate than stamina; that might make a bit more sense; training can make you more fit and efficient, but there is only so much blood you can lose; even if adding some muscle makes you a bit more durable. In a system like this, a player could start with 30 stamina and 30 health, but at the end of the game, he/she might have 120 stamina and 60 health.

Edited by curryinahurry
  • Like 1

I reiterate my point.

If a single party member goes down and then gets up at the end of battle, its a no buy from me.

Going in head strong, one guy survives, and we all do is NOT good.

That is Mass Effect Garbage...

If your going to use legendary names from RPG era's gone by, the lest you can do is live up to the vast immersion they brought.

Seemingly immortal party members is not part of immersion.

It's part of newb play that has affected every RPG sence.

And it needs to end.

Your loss. If you're so closed minded that any system that isn't identical to BG2, there's probably not much that can be done.

That the mere fact that someone can get knocked unconscious in a fight is shocking to you, however, invalidates any of your cries for immersion and realism. You're using it as a crutch, without actually using said terms properly. To the point where I am not sure if you even know what the terms mean.

I agree with timw03878 even if I'm not that categoric.

I'd like to have a system where you'd really try to avoid death and have a minimum wound. If every party member just wake up at the end of the fight without having to be healed I think it would be lame.

For example think about the last fight in throne of baal. You had 3 or 4 fight in a row to defeat the final boss if I remember. That fight would have been so pointless if every "dead/unconscious" just woke up between each fight. And that's without mentioning that it wouldn't make any sense. having to manage my healing spells and potions to get through this fight was so interesting and hope I'll have this kind of experience in PE.

Besides I don't think it's a good idea to have a character unconscious when he has no more stamina/vitality. He should be tired or suffer for any other bad condition for pushing its limits so far, but I don't think it should fall unconscious without having been really injured ( I'm talking about magical effects here)

Facts (for the suggested system in PE):

You can be knocked out, sent to sleep, and get up in all IE games (via spells/abilities).

You can be knocked out and get up in PE (via a fairly realistic stamina system, by spells, abilities, and normal attacks).

You can die in all IE games (by losing health) and be chain resurrected to the point where dying doesn't even matter.

You can die in PE (by losing health) and you can not be resurrected ever.

I really don't see what's your problem with this system. Yes, it's deviating from the original D&D system, but only in order to make death a more serious matter. I don't think it'll be much different difficulty wise, just balanced in a different way.

My final thought is that I don't think the OP should buy the game, because I think you will hate it. Even if you start liking the new stamina/health mechanic, you will find something to hate about it, with such strong preconceived ideas of exactly how the game needs to be, to be enjoyable at all to you. It will very likely be an awesome game, taking the best parts of our beloved IE games, but it won't be very much like them. It'll use homegrown systems, rather than D&D, a new world, updated graphics, and new members in the dev team. Unless you can relax about these facts, there's not much chance you'll be able to enjoy the game.

Edited by mstark
"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"