A wishful idea for inflating the world of Project Eternity

I was an avid modder in NWN2 back in the day, and it was great fun!

Thank you Obsidian, for that wonderful, although not always very easy toolset! :)

Sadly, there doesn't seem to be a modding kit on the horizon for PE, so here comes some wishful thinking on my behalf:

We all want a bigger world for PE, right? More to do, more to see, more variety and fun.

My idea doesn't require any stretch goals on Kickstarter at all, and it is free. I suggest that modders, it can be veterans from the NWN and Fallout-scenes, other modders, as well as all the great writers (fan-fiction, romance modders, the lot), can be used an immense asset by Obsidian. It would be something of a first, would it not? Kickstarter makes it possible for us gamers to help fund the games that we want. But why stop there? Obsidian can make use of devoted modders/fans/players as well!

Now, I do not propose some free-for-all creative sandbox-kindergarten, where each and everyone bring along their work, and presto: We have a sad mess on our hands. You know what they say about too many cooks in the kitchen. Well, that would be Hell's Kitchen for sure. No, I would suggest that Obsidian decides what can or cannot be contributed by the public. They decide the terms and formats. Then they announce those terms and formats, and those people that feel that they can contribute to PE following those limitations do so. Preferably, it will not be huge mods per person, rather small efforts, with much more care and love that has gone into them. Then these get submitted to Obsidian. And the good folks there carefully sift through them and select those that seem good enough. Finally, Obsidian has the full right adjust those contributions as they see fit, and voila! In the end, we the community get a bigger and deeper game for free, and that at the time of the release of the game, not many months later, as an ordinary toolset would have resulted in.

What do you say, Obsidian? I would very much love to help you out, however slightly, and that for free, and I am absolutely certain that I'm not alone in that vibe of wishful thinking.

Indira

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I think this could be a good idea if done on an extremely limited scale. Perhaps this could be restricted to something like:

1. Lore Books

2. Weapon/Armor/Amulets item descriptions

3. Ideas for cool spells

4. Special Abilities

5. Chained quests etc.

Sort of like a brain storming session so Obsidian can use to inspire them or even use them, if they're really good.

Sure, AgeWisdom, in whatever way Obsidian thinks would be beneficial and not just cumbersome! :)

As a modder I now that the writing part of a game is massive, at least in an ambitious CRPG. So even if we don't have a toolset, there might be bits and pieces of the game making where some of us can help out. We would gladly do so for the community, but it is very important that Obsidian keep the creative integrity in all this.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Perhaps others have a different view of lore books, but I've never seen a lot of value in having detailed, in-game book entries. I'd almost prefer to see a book review style description with specific entries pointed out. It would be nice to see a few illustrated books though, including maps, sketches of once fine glories, images of historical figures, and so forth. But I know those would take up more disk space.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Sounds like lawsuits could come of that! Otherwise, great idea!

"This is what most people do not understand about Colbert and Silverman. They only mock fictional celebrities, celebrities who destroy their selfhood to unify with the wants of the people, celebrities who are transfixed by the evil hungers of the public. Feed us a Gomorrah built up of luminous dreams, we beg. Here it is, they say, and it looks like your steaming brains."

" If you've read Hart's Hope, Neveryona, Infinity Concerto, Tales of the Flat Earth, you've pretty much played Dragon Age."