Steam Problem

Monte Carlo

Hi

My rig has two hard drives, the usual set-up where C is for essentials and D is where all my other stuff lives.

When I installed Steam it defaulted to C and after a while about 40% of the memory of C was used up. Checking steam, I couldn't find a way for me to default it to d/l / install to D.

So I just copied the Steam file in C and moved it to D.

I can still open Steam but every time I boot it it d/ls new updates and thinks it's a new comp. It's driving me nuts. any ideas? I have to use the exe app from D, if I copy it to the desktop its FUBAR!

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Steam always downloads games to the Steam directory, which is something I can't believe hasn't been "fixed" yet - even supposedly inferior competitors have more flexibility than that. A common approach to the problem, particularly when dealing with SSDs, is to install Steam onto a spindle drive so that by default games don't hog space on the SSD, and then move certain preferred games to the SSD by manual copying and creation of symlinks. An alternative to accomplish the same thing would be to use a third party tool like Steam Mover which just automates the process (never used it myself though).

As to your specific problem of Steam not recognising that it's been moved - search finds this : so it should be working, but check where your desktop shortcut is pointing, and also check that the directory on C: has been properly deleted.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

• 2 months later...