3DS Import games.

I don't know. If it's still based on the same idea that they have been, there are ways to put it on your computer and format it to run on your DS via a Japanese disk version that worked for the DS.

However, even though it you paid for the game and the game is yours, and you'd be playing it on your DS, there are some here who would still consider it piracy, so really won't go over that idea. However, the idea is that it makes it possible to play your DS games that you bought on a DS emulator on the computer, or you could play it on your Western version DS.

I personally don't use it as I'm one that simply just goes and buys another DS, but it's an avenue you might look up. Ironically the equipment to do it I think is all sold in Japan, and in that light could be more expensive to get rather then simply getting a Japanese DS.

Thinking of importing the new Fire Emblem game from Japan. I don't have a 3DS yet and I'm wondering if they are all compatible, or will I need a Japanese 3DS as well ?

The Nintendo 3DS is region locked, but from what I have read, the game is confirmed for a Western release. I'll be getting it when they release it in Europe.