Motherboard

Calax

Ok, so recently I upgraded my system from XP to Win 7. Only problem is that it started eating so much memory it's been booting me from games for using to much.

Thus I have decided to put in a new motherboard because i can fit more memory in (right now I'm stuck at 4 gigs) and was looking for recomendations.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Guest Slinky

4Gb should be more than enough unless you do some professional video editing, have you checked what eats so much memory on your system?

Also, you do have 64bit windows 7, right? Because 32bit limits your memory to 3Gb.

Well I discovered that my system wasn't overloading on memory (although some games running with firefox can create a memory hazard), but rather an auto update had screwed the C++ runtime stuff, so re-installed that and updated my drivers for my graphics card and I'm dandy.

That said, yeah I've got the 32. I could probably upgrade cheaply to the 64 through a friend and school (his program has a much cheaper computer upgrades because it's all about tech) and then get the motherboard upgrade et al.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

ASUS Sabertooth is a very good enthusiast motherboard for mid-range money. I bought one of those for my cousin the other week. Lovely piece of kit.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Most likely your current board can do 8GB anyway with higher density sticks. But anyway, motherboard recommendations can't be made without knowing what CPU you have - and frankly if you're going down that route I'd buy a new CPU too.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

will be hard to even find a suitable upgrade for that - most stores probably only carry a couple models that will fit that CPU, likely to be ultra-budget versions for people who need dead board replacements. If you need some extra speed just overclock it and save up for a proper upgrade. Should get to 3.5GHz without much trouble.

Then when you're ready, current model Sandy Bridge setups (typical gaming rig would be 2500k + Z68 motherboard) would be a huge upgrade. If AMD's Bulldozer (which is out this month) turns out to be a hit, might get even better value there.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G