Sadly, still getting memory leaks

Cyn!c

Question

Okay, after updating the drivers for my graphics card (I'm on CCC 11.6 now) and having the game run VERY smoothly for some periods of time, today I am getting heaps of unexplained memory leaks. It just doesn't make sense. I've attached an image of what the load on my CPU looks like when this happens. This was taken after I quit the game. The CPU usage was constantly spiking and dipping. Basically the game bugs out incredibly, frame rates grind to a crawl and sound stutters and slaps all around. If I put up with it for a while, sometimes it just fixes itself.

The weirdest part about this, is that I played for about 4 hours yesterday, no issues whatsoever. Ran like a dream during tons of hectic encounters etc., now suddenly today...this happens again.

If anyone can offer some advice I'd really appreciate it. FYI I'm not running any memory heavy processes, the highest load process other than steam is explorer. Just in case anyone missed my previous post, my specs are as follows:

CPU: Core i7 740QM

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5730 (latest drivers)

RAM: 8BG

post-32038-1308654494_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cyn!c

4 answers to this question

id test a few other games before and after playing DS3.

youve got 81 (ive only got 58 on a default win7 install) processes running, one of those could well be interfering with the system.

laptops usually have extra processes, but not that many.

if there were memory leaks in this game it would evident from lots of other posts, yours is the only one where the game crashes/grinds to a halt during actual prolonged gameplay.

id test a few other games before and after playing DS3.

youve got 81 (ive only got 58 on a default win7 install) processes running, one of those could well be interfering with the system.

laptops usually have extra processes, but not that many.

if there were memory leaks in this game it would evident from lots of other posts, yours is the only one where the game crashes/grinds to a halt during actual prolonged gameplay.

Hmm for instance, I can run Dragon Age 2 or Dragon Age Origins at close max at pretty high frame rates...for basically ever. Like I said, the heaviest app running is explorer...well Spybot is taking up some. I'll try disabling that and see what happens. But seriously...what I don't get is the inconsistency. Why did the game run so nicely yesterday, then today...it has this issue??

Edited by Cyn!c

Hmm for instance, I can run Dragon Age 2 or Dragon Age Origins at close max at pretty high frame rates...for basically ever. Like I said, the heaviest app running is explorer...well Spybot is taking up some. I'll try disabling that and see what happens. But seriously...what I don't get is the inconsistency. Why did the game run so nicely yesterday, then today...it has this issue??

Those little gnomes that make your computer work are being lazy today :shifty:

Seriously though, hard to say. I only experienced memory leak/huge fps drops when I had Windows updates running on the background.

Hate the living, love the dead.

Those little gnomes that make your computer work are being lazy today :(

Seriously though, hard to say. I only experienced memory leak/huge fps drops when I had Windows updates running on the background.

HMMM I didn't think about the Windows updates! I'll try disabling them and see if that helps.