Germany invites Russia to join security decision making

Walsingham

Russia has no rule of law, any Western interests investing in there better beware, they could lose their entire investment. Apparently Russia can't even keep their oil infrastructure from crumbling, because of the rampant corruption.

Also as far as I know Alexandr Nevski stopped the Teutonic Knights invasion, Ivan the Terrible expelled the Golden Horde.

You say that with such conviction! Not knowing the facts, though, I have to ignore you.

I mean we all thought Indonesia was a horrible, ****ed up place in 1999 as well (and, honestly, it really was). Australians were raised expecting a war with Indonesia some day. It's what 'Tomorrow When The War Began' is about. It was why we have such a large and well-equipped army. When we intervened in East Timor it was partly to help out the Timorese, and partly to reassure Australians "We can take care of Indonesia if need be". And now look at it. It's the world's largest Muslim country and it also happens to be a vibrant, free democracy witch is obliterating corruption and stamping out religious radicalism. Oh, and it has a free press. Australians now see it as an awesome place to party.

I'm just saying, a country (really a group of people) can change a lot in 10 years. Now, I'm sure it helps when an extremely rich country like Australia is giving you $500 million in aid each year and your president is not just a politician but an actual democrat who sincerely believes in the very concepts of democracy and freedom.

Edited by Krezack

I may have a rather narrow view of Indonesia thanks to my slightly slanted reading matter, but for 'vibrant' I'd say 'riven with violent ethnic and social tensions, manifested by outbreaks of what can only be described as small wars'. Although I admit your version sounds snappier.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Your view of Indonesia is a decade or so out of date. The religious clashes (Ambon, Atjeh) are quiescent and most of the separatists are considerably less militant now they feel they actually have a say and the army has some brakes on its power. It ain't perfect by any means but it's far better than it was, and improving.