Dungeon Siege 1 Multiplayer vs Dungeon Siege 3 Multiplayer

Dungeon Siege 1:

+ Ability to import a member of your single player party to multiplayer

+ Up to 8 players local or online

+ Persistent characters across multiple games

+ Entire multiplayer world separate from that of the single player campaign (you could play the single player map in multiplayer too)

+ 3 world levels (aka new game+, diablo's nightmare and hell mode, etc)

+ PVP

+ Not limited to the hosts field of view

+ Large amount of custom maps to play

+ Character customization

- Large modding/hacking community, usually had to create 'Legit Only' games if you wanted to enjoy playing how it was intended to be played.

Dungeon Siege 3:

- 4 players, hosts keeps save, only has the life of one play through

- More than one of the same class cannot be played (The class system in itself I see nothing wrong with, the fact that multiple of the same class cannot be played in a single game is bad)

- Limited to the hosts field of view

- No PvP

- One play through

+ Unlikely to see a large amount of hacked characters with the best of everything

Some may argue that this is story centric game, but the original Dungeon Siege had a completely separate online mode with it's own world/map/whatever you may call it. Why couldn't the same be done for this?

How is it that the original, almost 10 years ago seemed to have an enjoyable single player experience that was then extended greatly by a wonderful multiplayer experience, and yet this one can't?

No doubt at some point the Obsidian team would of had a meeting going over all the aspects that made Dungeon Siege the game that it was, does anyone else think that someone happened to bring the wrong game into that meeting?

This game was not designed for multiplayer, it should of been kept at singleplayer rather than doing a half assed attempt of it.

Edited by Matt-C

Are... Are you trying to prove some sort of point here we have to agree on?

Also VS threads are always terrible.

No, just something that I hope the developers end up reading. I then hope the realise why there has been a lot of negative feedback and incorporate some, if not all of these features in the next Dungeon Siege game (if they continue with it).

No, just something that I hope the developers end up reading. I then hope the realise why there has been a lot of negative feedback and incorporate some, if not all of these features in the next Dungeon Siege game (if they continue with it).

Then some sort of suggestion thread would be better suited. VS threads end nearly always in pointless flamewars and have a lower chance of beeing looked at by the dev or taken seriously at all.

Edited by C2B

Wasn't Dungeon Siege 1 just this kinda bland Diablo clone that just kind of played itself? I remember people calling it an interactive screensaver....where is all this diehard DS1 love coming from?

The single player may have been an 'interactive screensaver' however this thread is about the multiplayer of the game. There are quite a few of us that really loved the original Dungeon Siege for what it was. I understand that with Dungeon Siege 3 you have two vastly different types of people who have expressed interest in the game, those that played and liked the original, and those who are followers of Obsidian. Unfortunately how Obsidian do things isn't anywhere close to what 'Dungeon Siege' is. So while people like yourself are looking for the next Obsidian game, I was looking for the next 'Dungeon Siege' game... I figured Obsidian may have stayed faithful to what 'Dungeon Siege' is, I was wrong.

Edited by Matt-C

Then some sort of suggestion thread would be better suited. VS threads end nearly always in pointless flamewars and have a lower chance of beeing looked at by the dev or taken seriously at all.

There were suggestion threads when this forum was first created with people explaining what they loved about the original. Clearly Obsidian took no notice of them then. Maybe they will take notice of a debate topic?

There's no problem with debating the issue or criticising Obsidian, but we've already got multiple threads about multiplayer where comparisons to DS1/2 abound. Plasee feel free to continue there. :sorcerer: