F:NV creative lead John Gonzalez leaving Obsidian

funcroc

http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnrgonzalez

John Gonzalez

Current

Lead Designer, Narrative at WB Games

Past

Lead Creative Designer / Lead Writer at Obsidian Entertainment

Lead Narrative Designer at Ubisoft Entertainment (Shanghai)

Writer at Outrage Entertainment

He will be working again with Michael de Plater, Design Director of WB Games. John and Michael developed Tom Clancy's EndWar at Ubisoft Shanghai a few years ago.

EDIT: Michael de Plater is currently working on The Lord of the Rings: War in the North.

Edited by funcroc

I wish him all the best. As Creative Director for the game, he had a hand in the main story (could have been better but fits the Fallout structure) and some characters and that's it? I think he's written Caesar and maybe part f the Legate dialogue with Avellone? (Terribly inconsistent character by the way)

I got to say, he didn't seemed to be one of Obsidian's aces to me, but I'm afraid of being a little too dismissive.

I wish him all the best. As Creative Director for the game, he had a hand in the main story (could have been better but fits the Fallout structure) and some characters and that's it? I think he's written Caesar and maybe part f the Legate dialogue with Avellone? (Terribly inconsistent character by the way)

I got to say, he didn't seemed to be one of Obsidian's aces to me, but I'm afraid of being a little too dismissive.

How was the Legate inconsistent? He came across great to me and in tune with a sociopathic milateristic charachter.

I'm pretty sure he has written the initial script/main storyline.

He also has written Mr. House, Benny, Victor, Cesar.

Edited by C2B

How was the Legate inconsistent? He came across great to me and in tune with a sociopathic milateristic charachter.

Mostly his background :face scarred but not in game, either a great tribal warrior or a Legionnaire from 12, the way Caesar describes it and the way he talks don't seem to match perfectly.. you could reconcile all of this, no doubt, but the presentation felt a bit jarring. I admit though, I probably overreacted by defining him as "terribly" inconsistent.

I'm pretty sure he has written the initial script/main storyline.

He also has written Mr. House, Benny, Victor, Cesar.

Yeah, I'm fairly sure he wrote the main storyline (though with some input from Josh, as far as I understand, who wanted some things to be put in the game, like Caesar referring to Hegelian dialectics).

Also, Mr. House, Benny and Victor are all excellently written characters, so I admit, I may have been a little too quick calling him off.

Mostly his background :face scarred but not in game, either a great tribal warrior or a Legionnaire from 12, the way Caesar describes it and the way he talks don't seem to match perfectly.. you could reconcile all of this, no doubt, but the presentation felt a bit jarring. I admit though, I probably overreacted by defining him as "terribly" inconsistent.

I'm actually wondering if Cesars side of the story is a 100% true. Maybe we'll hear more of it when the burning man comes around.