HELP: short beeps in AWARD BIOS

sorophx

it's probab;y a bad idea to post this, because the answer is rather obvious, and the FAQ addresses the issue somewhat. but still, I've searched the internet for answers, and it gives so many, makes my head spin. so I'm hoping there's a tech-wiz among us who can spare his/her time and go through this with me :lol:

anyway, I was watching a movie. decided to plug in my internet cable, as soon as I did, the machine froze. I rebooted and it wouldn't start up properly. every time I tried rebooting, it'd give me a series of continuous short beeps. the manual says it's a "power error".

question: what does this mean? the PSU is dead? it's a Thermaltake 500W Purepower RX. I can't believe this thing died after 3 years of steady work :( some people say "draining the capacitors" could work, but I have no idea what it means :'(

also, some topics I've read suggested it could be a RAM issue.

well, like a very smart person that I am I decided to start the diagnostics by removing the CPU... needless to say I tore out the processor along with the radiator because the unit got stuck to the radiator, and I can't pull the processor off. how do I proceed? :lol:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

well, like a very smart person that I am I decided to start the diagnostics by removing the CPU...

You did WHAT?!? :lol:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I removed the cooler, the radiator and the "stone" itself. the radiator needed cleaning :lol: and it seemed like a good time to change the thermal paste

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I removed the cooler, the radiator and the "stone" itself. the radiator needed cleaning :lol: and it seemed like a good time to change the thermal paste

Ah, I thought it was part of your "diagnostics" to try and run it without the CPU :lol:

Could be a number of things. Never heard about it happening with a net cable before though. Well not since the Coax type cables went out of fashion at least (man, those things were quite literally shockers when touching them).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I should add that this very same cable caused a problem earlier. same thing happened, I plugged it in with a working PC and my network card got fried. seems there's something wrong with their hardware...

Ah, I thought it was part of your "diagnostics" to try and run it without the CPU :lol:

actually, some guy did suggest to do this

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

Guest Slinky
I should add that this very same cable caused a problem earlier. same thing happened, I plugged it in with a working PC and my network card got fried. seems there's something wrong with their hardware...

That's probably what happened now. The PSU might still be working, but your network card and/or motherboard is most likely toast.

You might want to get rid of that cable.

actually, some guy did suggest to do this

I suggest that you suggest him to ram his suggestions to where sun doesn't shine next time he suggests something.

i see :lol: just gotta figure out what's wrong. is there a way to check the PSU without assembling the whole thing?

Walsingham said:

Guest Slinky

Not really, unless you are an electrician.

If your network card is really a card and not build in to the motherboard, take it out, turn on the PC and see does that help.

I was going to do exactly that after I had found a way to separate my CPU and the radiator :lol:

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

ok. I believe I've made some progress.

took out everything 'cept for the CPU (the MB has an on-board video chipset). cleaned the CMOS. turned it on. beeps again, but I am not sure if it's the same kind of beeps as the last time. so I plugged in a memory plaque, into a slot that has never been used before. and voila! the machine works. checked all three memory modules (they're identical). they all seem to be working.

so it's either one of the RAM slots or some other thing (can't be the network card, wouldn't make sense). HDD maybe? we'll see in a couple of minutes

Walsingham said:

hokay, the system is running flawlessly. the only two modules still not mounted are the TV-tuner and the network card. both are possible reasons (or maybe it was a case of bad RAM all along).

anyway, I guess the issue is solved? ;) feel free to close the thread (I hope it's not too early, would suck if the PC just broke down right after I'd written it)

EDIT: oooh, post numero 1000! happy milestone to me!

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said: