error report when starting the game

handyman401

Question

The game loads ok but when clicking on play microsoft error screen shows "encounted an error and need to close" .My operating system is xp (service pack 3) ,graphic card Nvidia 9800gt and direct x 9c.I have uninstalled the program and re-installed it also have latest graphic drivers which I uninstalled and re-installed but still have the same problem.The game was installed 2 weeks ago and played ok then the only other game i have installed since then is "Sniper ghost warrior" could this be a problem? Any suggestions .Thanks

5 answers to this question

No idea why it would suddenly change... do you have Steam version, by the way, and if so, have you tried reinstalling steam and/or doing the steam file integrity check?

It might also be related to the runtime error, for which there have been some solutions, though you're getting a generic error...

No idea why it would suddenly change... do you have Steam version, by the way, and if so, have you tried reinstalling steam and/or doing the steam file integrity check?

It might also be related to the runtime error, for which there have been some solutions, though you're getting a generic error...

Thanks for the advice the game was installed from disc and not from steam I have uninstalled it and re installed but still have the problem.I rolled back my graphic drivers but this made no difference,All updates from Microsoft are installed and I dont have any problem with other games installed.Is it possible that the installation discs are corrupt?Does this game have to be registered with steam as it does not show in my steam library

If it's the retail version it doesn't have to use Steam. You say the game was okay a couple of weeks ago, though, and the error you get is a generic crash rather than a game-specific error... hard to pin it down in that case, my best guess is some kind of issue with shared .dlls or MS runtime libraries/etc, as I mentioned above. :sorcerer: Maybe wait for the patch which is in development, a reformat or replace discs, but none of those are very fast solutions...

May or may not be relevant, but I tried AP yesterday and it had stopped working too. Symptoms aren't quite the same (it loads but gives the 'grunt noise' fx in menu) but it does make me wonder if it's caused by something extraneous like a windows update as I've also got XPsp3.