Obsidian would like to work on Chrono Trigger

funcroc

@WorstUsernameEver and Amentep

It seems like that...various companies appear to have used the brand in Japan. For example, Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land seems to be Atlus' version while the new release seems to be out from a tiny company called Genterprice.

Obsidian and Square really need to get together making a handheld RPG or two. I'd probably even buy it if it has some anime flair (for the Japanese market).

Probably.

See how desperate I am?

I think the graphics of Tactics Ogre is less of anime...I think the settings have more priority here.

@WorstUsernameEver and Amentep

It seems like that...various companies appear to have used the brand in Japan. For example, Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land seems to be Atlus' version while the new release seems to be out from a tiny company called Genterprice.

As I understand it, the original Sir-Tech games were hugely popular in Japan and the name was licensed by a number of companies over the years for a variety of Wizardry "side story" games (Tales of the Forsaken land was actually made by Racdyn/Racjin, published by Atlus in the US. I'm not 100% certain it was Atlus who published it in Japan though).

From what I've read, IPM Inc. bought the rights to the Wizardry name from Sir-Tech and are planning what they call a "Wizardry Renaissance".

Since IPM isn't a developer their games are being developed by other companies. Genterprise is doing the DS game "Wizardry: Pledge of Life" while Acquire seem to be doing the game released on the PS3 ("Wizardry: Dungeon of Imprisoned Souls"?). Their parent company is a MMO maker and I believe a Wizardry MMO is planned as well.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

As I understand it, the original Sir-Tech games were hugely popular in Japan and the name was licensed by a number of companies over the years for a variety of Wizardry "side story" games (Tales of the Forsaken land was actually made by Racdyn/Racjin, published by Atlus in the US. I'm not 100% certain it was Atlus who published it in Japan though).
It's Atlus, which seems to have released a list of competent works, in Japan, too. I googled a bit and you seem to be right in other things except the new release is already the third products of so called "Wizardry Renaissance", Pledge of Life being the first while Dungeon of Imprisoned Souls being the second, respectively.

Also, there seem to be a lot of problems about the IP of Wizardry (I'd say avoid it by all means). Like in Feargus' interview with Gamebanshee, it would be much safer to use open systems such as D20 under original settings. In fact, Elminage, a Wizardry clone, seems to be doing similar thing, means, using a lot of tricks to avoid the IP issues (Even that , I still wonder if the company is completely risk-free).

Starfish - the makers of Elminage - made an earlier DS Wizardry title.

That said there seem to be a few companies doing "Wizardry like" games in Japan as well (and a few come out here like Class of Heroes or The Dark Spire).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

the article didn't mention that I said FF Tactics too ><

You mean use the setting or make a FF Tactics-esque game?

I'd love to do either.

On an handheld maybe? I'd love to see a game that focuses on the meat (tactical gameplay) instead of super shiny graphics.

I think that, while turn based tactical games are easier to sell to publishers on handhelds, turn based tactical gameplay actually works fine on consoles. See: FF Tactics :)

My personal platform preference for a game like FF:T would be the iPad. I think touchscreens provide the most natural, relaxing input scheme for point-and-click style games (at least, ones that don't require rapid input, like RTSes). But, I think that playing a deeply tactical RPG with the corresponding breadth of gameplay options on a smaller touchscreen like the iPhone or DS could be a bit fatiguing. I think they're also great on the PC, but I do like the sense of not being restricted to my desk when I play games, so the iPad is nice in that regard.

On the other hand, if I was using the setting, I'd love to make an open-world C&C driven RPG set in the FF: Tactics universe, dealing with similar themes. FF:T (particularly the re-translated War of the Lions version) has one of my favorite JRPG stories.

i gotta say i really enjoyed those sort of games

TO Knight of Lodis has got to be my favourite gba game, followed closely by the remake of Shining Force 1

FFTA on the other hand was appalling :p

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

My personal platform preference for a game like FF:T would be the iPad. I think touchscreens provide the most natural, relaxing input scheme for point-and-click style games (at least, ones that don't require rapid input, like RTSes). But, I think that playing a deeply tactical RPG with the corresponding breadth of gameplay options on a smaller touchscreen like the iPhone or DS could be a bit fatiguing. I think they're also great on the PC, but I do like the sense of not being restricted to my desk when I play games, so the iPad is nice in that regard.

As for touch-control, I don't disagree but personally, I'm not a great Apple fan due to the restriction on both software and hardware and I'd like to see new gen games shift to mulch-platforms freed from restrictions to a certain devices.

On the other hand, if I was using the setting, I'd love to make an open-world C&C driven RPG set in the FF: Tactics universe, dealing with similar themes. FF:T (particularly the re-translated War of the Lions version) has one of my favorite JRPG stories.

If you like the setting of Final Fantasy: Tactics that much, you may like Tactics Ogre, too. I haven't played the former but Yasumi Matsuno played the central role in designing them. Judging from what I gathered on the net, they are common in the style where human emotions and political situations interwoven to make some bloody story of half historical and half epic feel (By epic, here, I mean something akin to Kriemhild's blood-thirsty revenge).

Heh, I don't see why an handheld game should necessarily make use only of the touch screen though.

Personally, I also disagree about the 'fatigue' factor, or, at least, I never really experienced it (though I don't have the IPad as a comparison, and I honestly don't intend to buy it).

Heh, I don't see why an handheld game should necessarily make use only of the touch screen though.

Personally, I also disagree about the 'fatigue' factor, or, at least, I never really experienced it (though I don't have the IPad as a comparison, and I honestly don't intend to buy it).

As for fatigue issue, yea...the screen is getting sharper and clear in smaller devices. However, since touch screen is getting standardized in portable devices and, as long as we have alternatives such as Android + the makers of our liking, I have nothing against the input method. Rather, other methods tied with a certain devices would make yet another division in both developing and playing, which is my main concern.