FUBAR GPU Artifacts.

Here's a screenshot of the desktop - although a restart fixed the problem (for now). Think my videocard is dying -that would be a pian as this is from my laptop-, or was it a glitch? :devil:

post-15784-1233635389_thumb.jpg

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Ugly. Looks like it is dying (probably the memory, if it's dedicated) - make backups and hope it will stay alive but don't count on it. Is it a mobile geforce of the 9 or 8 series btw? They have problems with high temperatures due to some weak soldering material. Using a tool to increase fan speed to keep it cooler could save it in that case.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Yeah it is a 8600M GT, so I'll try to adjust the fan and see if it gets better. If not, well, I looked at replacement costs and it would be less than $200 - although I might simply buy another laptop and use this one for parts (the original price was only about $600-700 and so $200 is about a third of the cost of a new one). Any other ideas of how to maximize the life expectancy? :)

EDIT: It seems, so far, to only happen when rainbow Six Vegas 2 is running (it was minimized for the screenshot as I was trying to see if only the game was affected) - could it be an issue with that program that is causing the artifacts or does it still look like a dying card? :p

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

That game might use more memory than others you tried, or it might be more demanding for the gpu - to me, it still looks like a dying card. You could try to verify if it is the gpu by running furmark, but if it really is dying, this could be its death sentence. To check if it's the memory, you could try Fallout with the highres texture pack or something like that. If it turns out that it's just rainbow six, all the better, if not: The cooler the card, the longer it lives. So you'd maximize its life expectancy by not starting any games and let the fan blow stronger.

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Well, I'm running FurMark now and it's been cranking for about twenty minutes without any problems (I'd rather know it's a bad GPU and have it die then not know and have a dead laptop when I really need it). I'll try Fallout and the high-res pack later. Anyways, so far so good. :(

-Hurlshot

I ran FurMark some more with all the settings set to max just to see if that would fry bother the card and it did not, although i only ran it for sixteen minutes. I guess that's a good thing... Maybe I'm just lucky and it was either a problem with Rainbow Six Vegas 2 or a lone error... :(

-Hurlshot

Yea my graphic card use to just crash and artifact during BIOSHOCk. I ended up clocking it down and it fixed the problem, later on i got a new GPU cooler but you obviously cant do that. so clock it down perhaps. Or try newer drivers. Your clever though, im sure you already tried these :ermm: