Firefox crashing

Pope

You might try this. I got this off the Firefox Help site.

Firefox can sometimes crash when you try to download files because its download history has become corrupted. To fix this, you must manually delete the downloads.rdf file from your profile:

From the menu at the top of the Firefox windowbar, select FileFirefox and then select the ExitQuit FirefoxQuit menu item.

Open the Firefox profiles folder. For more information, see profile folder.

If the Profiles folder contains multiple folders, open the folder for the active profile.

In the profile folder, find the downloads.rdf file and delete it.

From the menu at the top of the Firefox windowbar, select FileFirefox and then select the ExitQuit FirefoxQuit menu item.

Uh wut? There's only the usual File at the top, and I don't see any ExitQuit FirefoxQuit in there.

When you uninstall, do you also delete the folder it leaves behind before reinstalling?

Yup I did, but it keeps happening.

Norton always scans every file immediately upon completion, perhaps it has something to do with that? Although it's been doing this ever since I started using this computer, and the problem occurred only recently.

Okay this is quickly getting reeeaaaally annoying. Imagine downloading a 200 MB file, then in a force of habit opening some kind of small file like a doc or torrent without thinking of the consequences. Firefox crashes, resulting in the loss of whatever was already downloaded from the 200 MB file. Now I have more than enough bandwith to spare, but if the download speed of that file was 20 kb and it crashes at 90%, you can imagine my frustration.

I used to love Firefox but wtf is this?!

Edited by Pope

I dunno what that is, but by the sound of it, yeah, it probably should.

Which really confuses me. It could have been a virus or spy-ware then. Did you run Hijack This?

Edit: hmm, but that still doesn't explain why it would happen on Ubuntu as well. Unless it's a problem with multiple potential causes.

Edited by Krezack