Cooking Irons

Walsingham

I cook a lot, and there are a few things I'd hate to be without...

My griddle with removable plates is great. Makes breakfast stuff, sammiches, grills vegetables and my fake meats very fast, and works well with all of the various mexican and south american stuff I cook.

My immersion blender does the same stuff that a normal blender would without making a bunch of dishes and what not.

Finally, it's low tech, but I can't imagine cooking without my wok. It's a heavy duty cast iron wok, not the cheapies you get at IKEA or whatever, but it cooks with very little oil and cleans up in a few seconds while making better Chinese or Thai dishes then what I can get for ten bucks at a restaurant. This is probably related to the fact that I'm pretty picky, but still...

Griddle: agreed there.

Immersion blender: Ah. A stick blender. I guess that could be handy. A blender of some sort is on my list of things to get after I sort my kitchen out.

Cast iron wok: I'd like cast iron wok, but I'm wondering if it will reallys how its superiority on an electric hob.

ELECTRIC HOB

I'm gradually sliding towards getting an electric hob. I'm guessing that gas prices will keep increasing indefinitely, but that eletcricity will eventually become cheaper. I'm looking at spending one to two thousand pounds. ALL advice warmly received.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I cook a lot, and there are a few things I'd hate to be without...

My griddle with removable plates is great. Makes breakfast stuff, sammiches, grills vegetables and my fake meats very fast, and works well with all of the various mexican and south american stuff I cook.

My immersion blender does the same stuff that a normal blender would without making a bunch of dishes and what not.

Finally, it's low tech, but I can't imagine cooking without my wok. It's a heavy duty cast iron wok, not the cheapies you get at IKEA or whatever, but it cooks with very little oil and cleans up in a few seconds while making better Chinese or Thai dishes then what I can get for ten bucks at a restaurant. This is probably related to the fact that I'm pretty picky, but still...

Griddle: agreed there.

Immersion blender: Ah. A stick blender. I guess that could be handy. A blender of some sort is on my list of things to get after I sort my kitchen out.

Cast iron wok: I'd like cast iron wok, but I'm wondering if it will reallys how its superiority on an electric hob.

ELECTRIC HOB

I'm gradually sliding towards getting an electric hob. I'm guessing that gas prices will keep increasing indefinitely, but that eletcricity will eventually become cheaper. I'm looking at spending one to two thousand pounds. ALL advice warmly received.

A wok really won't work with an electric stovetop. I had to do a lot of searching for my last apartment to make sure I could find a decent gas stove.

I have a regular blender as well, but only use it when cooking for a bunch of people. When making food for myself or maybe one other person, the stick blender does the job and cleans up much faster, which means I'm likely to actually use it pretty often. Really great for protein shakes or just regular ice cream shakes.

My blood! He punched out all my blood! - Meet the Sandvich

Well, you've sold me on the idea of a stick blender. Take up less space, apart from anything else.

What do you other chaps think about electric hobs?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• 2 weeks later...

Come on, guys. I'm getting hungry for food I can't cook without a hob, like pasta. Does anyone think it's a terrible idea to go electric?

-Elwood Blues