Bioshock 2 concept art revealed

Morgoth

It should be noted that 'Steel Battalion' has a perma-death system of being able to save between levels, but a death in that level means the save is removed.

Brutal, but given that the game comes with its own control deck, those without 'hardcore' tatooed into their foreheads need not apply.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I still disagree that Bioshock was "boring", because it still had a great gameplay and a great story. The Vita-Chambers were a mistake, yes, but it didn't ruin the game for me.

I probably wouldn't have found it as disappointing if I hadn't played System Shock 1 and 2 to death. And disappinting is a key word here. I don't think Bioshock was a bad game, just a whole lot less compelling than I was hoping for. It's quite similar to my reaction to Deus EX and and its follow up Invisible War. Even though Bioshock isn't a "sequel" in the traditional sense, more like a remake.

But let's be honest. The little sisters and big daddy AIs were cool at first, but when they kept doing the exact same behavior level after level with 0 variation, the initial thrill quickly passed into monotony, at least for me.

Not sure that the waves of moaning zombies of System Shock 2 were any less repetitive, or displayed better AI, but you must think so I guess...

I still disagree that Bioshock was "boring", because it still had a great gameplay and a great story. The Vita-Chambers were a mistake, yes, but it didn't ruin the game for me.

I probably wouldn't have found it as disappointing if I hadn't played System Shock 1 and 2 to death. And disappinting is a key word here. I don't think Bioshock was a bad game, just a whole lot less compelling than I was hoping for. It's quite similar to my reaction to Deus EX and and its follow up Invisible War. Even though Bioshock isn't a "sequel" in the traditional sense, more like a remake.

But let's be honest. The little sisters and big daddy AIs were cool at first, but when they kept doing the exact same behavior level after level with 0 variation, the initial thrill quickly passed into monotony, at least for me.

Not sure that the waves of moaning zombies of System Shock 2 were any less repetitive, or displayed better AI, but you must think so I guess...

you said it, not me.

I picked the AI behavior of the sisters and daddies as an example only because Levine pimped it so much. And yeah, it is cool to experience for the first couple levels. So if Bioshock had been only 2 levels long, it would have been a great game.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

My main problem with BioShock is that there is no threat of death. You die, you just pop out of a cloning booth. You die again, you again pop right out of a cloning booth, ad nauseum. There is no danger, no thrills, nothing fun in a game like that. Well, at least for me.

Isn't that an awful lot like loading a saved game?

Well, one issue is that the progress of damage done on an enemy remains...but aside from that?

I have no issues with the vita chambers other than they could probably have been utilised somewhat more creatively, rather than just functioning as an in-game fail-safe for people who forget to save.

edit: well, they do somewhat lessen the siginifance of the tactical struggle I guess, since they render medkits and other life-preserving tactics somewhat unneccessary since, as you point out, the damage done to an enemy remains and with no penalty of any sort to the player.

Edited by CrashGirl
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.