IP addresses

taks

well, i while back i asked if the board "dumped" my login over time... the answer was no, at least, there's nothing that should specifically remove my default login or any cookies to that affect. today i think i found out the answer WHY i have to reenter my login information every so often. it must be IP based and today, my host server changed the address and sure enough, i had to log in again. this happens very rarely at home with my cable service (comcast). we're running through qwest here, which supposedly does not auto-reset your IP unless your lease expires, so i wonder if my company is only getting 10-day IP leases? anyway, this is the first time i noticed because one of the software contractors is tunneling into our linux box (project he's working on with me) and i had to give him the new IP address this morning so he could turn his session back on (ssh tunnel).

what's interesting, btw, is that comcast will tell you that yes, they will issue a new IP address on occasion (at least, they don't guarantee they won't reset it), and qwest says no. such an occurrence happens maybe once every 6 months or so with comcast, yet something like once every 10-14 days with qwest. hmmm...

taks

comrade taks... just because.

well, i while back i asked if the board "dumped" my login over time... the answer was no, at least, there's nothing that should specifically remove my default login or any cookies to that affect. today i think i found out the answer WHY i have to reenter my login information every so often. it must be IP based and today, my host server changed the address and sure enough, i had to log in again. this happens very rarely at home with my cable service (comcast). we're running through qwest here, which supposedly does not auto-reset your IP unless your lease expires, so i wonder if my company is only getting 10-day IP leases? anyway, this is the first time i noticed because one of the software contractors is tunneling into our linux box (project he's working on with me) and i had to give him the new IP address this morning so he could turn his session back on (ssh tunnel).

what's interesting, btw, is that comcast will tell you that yes, they will issue a new IP address on occasion (at least, they don't guarantee they won't reset it), and qwest says no. such an occurrence happens maybe once every 6 months or so with comcast, yet something like once every 10-14 days with qwest. hmmm...

taks

Maybe it has to do with how long your history stores information until it resets or empties. cookies are indirectly connected to the browser history, so after x amount of days, the day you signed in was either deleted from the history or pushed out. I have to sign after every time I delete my history or after a really long time of not being online. this might not be the case with you because I have the Mozilla browser.

Your not all ways being honest when your telling the truth.

Everything slows down when water's around.

no, it's an IP thing. of course, there may be some IP-based signature in some cookie. happened again the other day. i turned on the work system and noticed i had to log in. before checking the system my buddy was tunneling in to, i called and said "check the IP"... sure enough, it changed.

taks

comrade taks... just because.