Odd 'Net Problem

Kools

So I've noticed this off and on for a while now, and it's really starting to annoy me. It seems every now and then my internet connection will just lag for ten or so seconds; it's most noticeable when running something like Ventrilo, where my ping will hop from around 36 to 11873 or whatever, and everyone's voice will lag for that five to ten seconds, but I also see it just doing general web-browsing; normally when I open a link or type in a URL, it instantly opens. Sometimes, however, it takes a solid ten seconds before it even goes to the page. It's random, so it's not one or two specific sites or anything like that. Also happens a lot on YouTube, where I'll be watching a movie, and it'll all of a sudden stop halfway through and start buffering again.

Drivers are updated to the most recent, and the other machines on the network aren't having the same problem. Any ideas as to what could be going on?

Is this DSL or Cable? Is it plugged directly in or is it wireless? Are you using a router?

I know I have issues with my Cable because of the splitter. One line goes into the TV and another goes into the modem, and occasionally it drops out. If you are using a router, you might want to play around with the settings there. I used to have packet loss when I ran at 108 mbs, but when I dropped to 54, it became more stable and honestly made zero difference in speed.

Sounds like packet loss, things to check would be router/ISP compatibility, cable/modem quality and functionality, wireless and any other odd settings.

It's cable, and it goes through a router. Thing is, it's only a recent problem; started when I built my new computer a few weeks ago. It's not an issue with any of the other machines on the network, which has me seriously wondering if it's just the onboard ethernet connection on the motherboard, or something else going on.