Internet problems on Vista

Cantousent

When I first installed Vista 64 on my system, my computer was not able to access the DSL router on my network. It's the same router and computer that accessed it properly on XP. At the time, I wasn't particularly concerned about the issue because I'm able to connect via wireless. However, I would rather use the cabled connection and I cannot at this time. I'm running Vista 64 using an abit motherboard with a built in ethernet port. I have a Verizon DSL router. Any ideas, cause I'm stymied by this one.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Stab in the dark: did you try a different driver for your router/network card?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

After Vista loaded, there was a driver already installed for the network card. It showed a cable plugged into the port, but could not identify the network. I went the abit and downloaded their latest. Same thing. I guess I can try again. Pain in the backside.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Definitely sounds like an irritating problem for those who have it. I tried a quick Google on variations of 'vista router problem' and it seems you're not alone ... although most of the neworking issues seem more related to slow or randomly dropped connections rather than inability to connect entirely.

From what little I can gleen via cursory glances:

According to some advice, if you use a static IP with Vista, you MUST provide a DNS address or it will not connect to the internet. Since I don't own Vista, I can't confirm whether this is true or not, but maybe something to check/try if you haven't already?

Don't know how old your Verizon router is, but firewall-equipped routers - or older routers in general - may have problems. Sometimes you just have to get another router/hardware. (p.s. - I know that article is a bit old, but mid-late-2007 articles/posts/complaints led me to the article, so I assume it's still problematic).

Contacting Verizon seems like a good thing - although they may just shuttle you over to Microsoft. :)

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts