Survey of Global Opinions on the US and China

Azarkon

Disclaimer: I make no claims about the accuracy of this poll; the standard statistical arguments about poll bias apply, etc. etc.

http://pewglobal.org/reports/display.php?ReportID=256

Most of it is unsurprising and probably what you all expected, though I should point out African countries' optimistic attitudes towards both the US and China, which I thought was rather interesting.

There are doors

Indeed a most interesting study. But I also found it rather sad in many ways. Being myself a democrat, the opinions of those respondents are effectively the opinions of our leaders. And they seem to me utterly incomprehensible.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

If it's of any consolation, just because public opinion is against the US, does not mean they hate us. People's opinions change at the flick of a political switch: the dramatic mood swings noted in the poll stand as testament to the fluidity of global favor. That's why geopolitics is not done through popular vote - it's too easy to be caught in the rush of the moment, and make terrible strategic decisions.

There are doors

You're right. They make slow ponderous strategic errors. Like very very stupid glaciers.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

You're right. They make slow ponderous strategic errors. Like very very stupid glaciers.

Well played :D

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta