Overlord

It does support more than two button mice. It supports up to 5 additional buttons beyond the normal right / left and mouse wheel. Which is very nice considering how many games seem to forget that there's anything more than the basics, forcing more reliance on odd keyboard configurations.

Cool. Then I had it mixed up with another game I played recently (or rather several, as you say it's astounding how many developers ignore this option). Really makes me wish I was playing the game on my own computer and could fiddle with the controls. That actually would go a long way to alleviate the main issues I have with the controls.

I wouldn't say it's a drawback for PC users. SOME PC users, maybe. There's not a lot of reason to not have a gamepad. I only recently got mine, but I've got friends who've been using gamepads for years. That's a benefit of the PC in that we can do both. I can understand not having one. They're not free and not every game uses them. Heck, three of the primary PC genres are undeniably better off with the keyboard and mouse (MMO, RTS, FPS).

For all PC users who don't have a gamepad, and for those who have one but don't like playing games with it. I think that is a vast majority of PC gamers. I agree that there's not much reason getting one (especially since more and more games are developed primarily for consoles) and I know I've been thinking about getting one on several occasions. But somehow I never do and most people I know are the same. I don't think I know anyone who has a gamepad (for their PC).

That being said however, if the game supports a five buttone mouse, the controls can be customized in such a way that I doubt they will be clumsy at all. Like I said, it is a very good port to begin with (in stark contrast to the horrible port that was made of Jade Empire).