Warren Spector on "Next Gen Storytelling"

Morgoth

Game Design and Art isn't a Science, so no Academics are needed...

Precisely my opinion. :-

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I didnt know thered be so much theory when enrolling, but we've been fighting the good fight to push back the theoretical courses and focus on what will actually give us jobs in the future. So far we've been successful, 75% of what we do is practical. We have two programs, one for graphics and one for programming and we take game design classes(which are the ones that tend to get very theoretical) together.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Do you actually have free access to professional Video Workshops like Gnomon, Digital Tutors, Video2Brain etc? I know I do spend quite a lot of money with that to expand my know-how with my...sorta "Hobby" Art stuff. :- So much money I've to refrain from buying too much games (not that there're actually many good games these days I must own).

I didnt know thered be so much theory when enrolling, but we've been fighting the good fight to push back the theoretical courses and focus on what will actually give us jobs in the future. So far we've been successful, 75% of what we do is practical. We have two programs, one for graphics and one for programming and we take game design classes(which are the ones that tend to get very theoretical) together.

That's the catch-cry of the beleaguered organisational peon (the artist in this instance), and (as a information technologist) I have heard it again and again, especially when cottage-industries must make the leap to commercial production. I'm not suggesting that technology is the beginning and end of game design, I'm suggesting that, given enough paper, an artist will doodle inefficiently; a "map" to help artists direct and focus their efforts will only be useful, if taken in the correct vein. Of course if artistic-types become militant, then all that creative effort that might have been efficiently directed into a great game will be wasted on internecine warfare.

I think it really all depends on good management, which is outside technology and art, and in very short supply.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Do you actually have free access to professional Video Workshops like Gnomon, Digital Tutors, Video2Brain etc? I know I do spend quite a lot of money with that to expand my know-how with my...sorta "Hobby" Art stuff. :- So much money I've to refrain from buying too much games (not that there're actually many good games these days I must own).

We have bucketloads of that stuff. I would never buy them myself because theres is no knowing if you will have spend