Problems connecting to the internet...

tarna

Decided to set up one of my network computers to connect directly to the internet. The modem rings in and connects to my ISP but none of my programs can use the connection. I've turned off the two firewalls just in case they are blocking the connection but it didn't help. I reset my network connection to allow this computer to connect directly to the internet but that isn't helping either. I'm sure that I've just screwed up a setting somewhere but having tried everything I could think of, I figured I'd ask for help here.

I am using WinXP Pro SP1.

Any suggestions?

PS...I know that the modem connection is working because while I was fiddling around with the computer, 3 Mb of 'something' downloaded itself to my system. Possibly Windows updates but I'm not sure and the firewalls were in place during that download.

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

Something I just noticed is that my modem is on port 4. Ports 1-3 are being used by something alse. I don't know what but my guess is that it is various network connections.

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

Can you get access to the net using ip numbers instead of names?

I.e. 67.19.132.178 instead of forums.obsidianent.com?

Just wondering if it is your DNS settings, since you noticed that "something" seemed to have access.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Watching the trans/receive indicators when I try to use the internet, the indicators don't even become active.

Ruminations...

Hmm. Insufficient Data, Unable to Compute!

A few more questions about your setup then...

Is your modem in addition to an existing connection?

If so, is it set as your primary internet connection (instead of your old/existing one)?

Have you set up default gateway and DNS in your tcp/ip configuration for your modem connection?

Does the 'ipconfig' command give any hints as to what your computer thinks it is doing right now?

Depending on the answers, more questions may follow...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein