KOTOR 2 problems

After installing KOTOR 2, I run the game. I go through the menu screens and watch the first movie. Then, however, the screen remains blank (black) while music is playing. About 45 seconds later, a message box pops up saying that KOTOR 2 has to close. My computer is well within the system requirements (2.8 GHz Pentium D, 1 GB RAM, etc) with the exception of my 'graphics card' (really an IGP), but that has been offically supported since the latest patch, which I have already installed. I have all the latest drivers and the latest DirectX 9 build.

Some integrated graphics and laptop chipsets will experience problems with this game including black screens, crashes and graphical glitches - whether or not the patch solved this issue for all such users w/the problems, I have no idea.

Do you have such a system? What is the card, specifically?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Intergrated cards tend to run into problems running games, and I'm guessing thats the case here. I seem to recall running into problems when I tried playing games with an integal graphics card, and I think one of the games was KOTOR which kept crashing. KOTOR wasn't the only game where I ran into problems, anything that required a fair amount of graphics power was affected as well.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the only 'fix' for this problem might be to get a new graphics card. It was the only way I was able to get around the problem myself.

By the way, what opperating system are you using? If its windows Vista it could be that which is screwing things up-there does seem to be a few problems running the game on that. (I'd still say get a new card though).

It's the Intel GMA 945/950, which has been supported since patch 1.0b

Even when a card is supported, it doesn't always guarantee that it will work in practice for 100%, as there are always other variables (beyond drivers) that may conspire to make the card not work properly w/the game. It is possible that such a card will just need to be upgraded.

As well as here, you can try the lucasarts tech forum. They have a couple pretty tech-knowledgable people there, perhaps you could post your dxdiag there, and if lucky, someone would be familiar with that card and possible issues regarding it specifically.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts