European Football

Guest The Architect

Ugh. That was horrible to watch as an Arsenal fan.

It's no secret we're going through a transitional period (my August predictions for this season was 3rd place and no silverware, which seems to be right on target). The team lacks sharpness in general and without the phenomenal Robin Van Persie, and with Thierry Henry suffeirng a million niggling injuries we were always going to struggle for goals. PSV deserved to go through after our wastefulness - some will say we deserved better after dominating the game for so long, but if we really deserved it we'd have scored. It;'s telling that the only goal PSV conceded in those two matches was a fluke own goal by the otherwise amazing Alex.

Ironically, Makaay's 9-second goal beats Gilberto Silva's record from ~03 by only a few seconds; and that goal was scored against PSV, during the high period of Arsenal's last 'team'. But then Real Madrid have sturggled for the last 3 or so years and they were never, ever, going to get very far in the Champions League with their performances. The difference is that with Arsenal there is a singular direction and a promise for a 'better future' when we can reclaim the top spots in all the competitions; with Real Madrid, who knows if that will happen, or they will just go back to the drawing board and get rid of Capello?

I was surprised that AC Milan took so long to get over Celtic, but I think what it means it that on the whole, the quarter-finals are going to be very, very even. I don't expefct PSV to beat anyone (their tactic seems to be draw, and draw more), and Liverpool - well, I don't fancy them either, but who knows, Benitez has done it before.

Guest The Architect
Ugh. That was horrible to watch as an Arsenal fan.

It's no secret we're going through a transitional period (my August predictions for this season was 3rd place and no silverware, which seems to be right on target). The team lacks sharpness in general and without the phenomenal Robin Van Persie, and with Thierry Henry suffeirng a million niggling injuries we were always going to struggle for goals. PSV deserved to go through after our wastefulness - some will say we deserved better after dominating the game for so long, but if we really deserved it we'd have scored. It;'s telling that the only goal PSV conceded in those two matches was a fluke own goal by the otherwise amazing Alex.

Arsenal have had a habit this year of dominating matches, creating plenty of chances; but failing to score, or win matches.

Ironically, Makaay's 9-second goal beats Gilberto Silva's record from ~03 by only a few seconds; and that goal was scored against PSV, during the high period of Arsenal's last 'team'. But then Real Madrid have sturggled for the last 3 or so years and they were never, ever, going to get very far in the Champions League with their performances. The difference is that with Arsenal there is a singular direction and a promise for a 'better future' when we can reclaim the top spots in all the competitions; with Real Madrid, who knows if that will happen, or they will just go back to the drawing board and get rid of Capello?

I wasn

Edited by The Architect

Guest The Architect

I just found out the draw for the Champions League quarter-finals this morning.

We (AC Milan) play Bayern Munich, Chelsea play Valencia, PSV play Liverpool and Roma play Manchester United.

Hmm, I have a feeling that Chelsea or Liverpool is going down. I can smell an upset (well, I don

Edited by The Architect

Guest The Architect
We might get to play Liverpool in the semis again lol.

And get knocked out again. :thumbsup:

Nah, I think if Chelsea and Liverpool end up playing each other in the semi-finals again, it will be adi

Edited by The Architect