please remove disk from current CD/DVD and insert the original disk in another drive?

i've recently bought a new pc and wanted to install kotor 2 and play it again. but i've come into this problem.

i install the game and it tells me graphics drivers are out of date. so i go to the site and sure enough there were new drivers. so i installed them and went to the game and updated it. thinking it would play i got this message "please remove disk from current CD/DVD and insert the original disk in another drive?" there is only one drive so i cant' insert the original disk in another drive. so i thought well maybe i had a bad install, so i reinstalled and thought i would just see if it would work w/out the update. well it did work. next i exited and installed the updates, thinking this would work now. and to no avail i got the same message. here are my system specs.

windows vista 32bit home edition

amd athlon dual-core processor 4200

1 gig ram

320GB harddrive

radeon x1300 pro 256mb

so i know my pc is more than capable of playing the game. i used to play it on my old emachine that was only 1.8 celeron

512 80gig harddrive and geforce 5500. so this pc is definately better than my old one.

i've done clean install 5 times and got the same result. is it possible that vista has conflicts w/ this graphics card, or just causing conflicts in general? any help would gladly be appreciated.

I know nothing about Vista so unfortunately can't really help, but I suspect there will be times when Kotor - or any games made before Vista - may sometimes have trouble on some systems. It's a little hard to say since it's still 'new.'

Perhaps trying a different graphics driver version might help - ie, not neccesarily the latest, but something inbetween, if there is one?

Edit: Briefly googling - is there an XP compatability mode? Did you try running the swkotor.exe using it?

Could be a Vista conflict with the copy protection methods somewhere?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

"please remove disk from current CD/DVD and insert the original disk in another drive?"
Sounds like StarForce to me. Except it doesn't make sense, KOTOR 2 doesn't use StarForce. You do not have any emulated drives in your system, do you? If yes, you might try removing them. If no, you might try installing one, ripping the image of the original CD, mounting it in the virtual drive and then physically disconnecting your CD/DVD drive (not while your PC is on, of course)...