Recommend me something to watch

JohnCrichton

Whatever floats your boat, I still hate the new BSG. And I can agree with you about TSG Star Trek, but  I wouldn't exactly call the new BSG's backstory 'rich', because I honestly just think the series is a cheap knockoff of the old one. thats my 2 cents on the entire thing. You guys have your new one, I have my old one.

:lol: Please, tell me! What was the "rich backstory" of the original series? :lol:

If you can't see the depth of the new series, then you aren't looking.

They were trying to find a new safe haven while trying to avoid being destroyed by the Cylons and other enemies, while keeping an entire rag-tag fleet of citizens and supplies safe from Pirates and any other things that were trying to kill them and rying to keep rebellions from happening across the disgruntled citizens in the fleet. They also had some damn good subplots along with believable acting to support it. Basically, it's survival, not some stupid soap opra thats just abunch of bad drama.

Now why don't you tell me the so-called 'rich backstory' of the new series, meta?

It's not a big CGI-and-tights lightshow, like the old series. I watched the old series on tv when it was screened, and I have fond memories of it. Then, I watched the summaries included in the "making of" documentary of the new mini series, and all my rose-coloured reminisces were stripped from me: the new series has much[/i] better writing. The acting is probably about the same, all things considered, as I have found some of the new series to be quite ordinary.

The new series investigates the ethical dimensions of interesting characters, like Gaius Baltar, who is not a particularly good person and yet has managed to provide for the survival of the remnants of the fleet on many occassions. Similarly, the Cylons have a much richer exploration, too: such Philip K. Dιck concepts as What is a soul? and

very interesting theological concepts that would arise from humanity creating life: Would humans be seen to by gods by their creation?, Would the created love or hate their creators, or both?, Would the created be better than the creators? and even the added concept of machines coming to terms with emotions, how they affect various ego states and the entire consciousness feedback process.

None of which was present in the earier series.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT