"I don't cheat as a GM."

If you bend the rules in your favor the players WILL notice, and they WILL feel like youre railroading them, and that it will end in the way you want it, no matter what they do.

That's simply not true. Changing specific items in a ruleset and making command decisions to override the rules has always been a part of Dungeons and Dragons. Since day one. Since I had my first copy of DnD, which was before the all glorious red cover basic set some of you remember.

Yes, it isnt really true. I admit that it should have said "I will notice" instead of "players" :lol:

An example of when Im being truly anal:

GM: -He tries to parry..

ME: -He's already done one dodge blow and one parry this round and unless in he has the "lightning parry" talent, which I know his career doesnt, then he has taken all the actions possible this round.

But then again our GM gets back at me by not having any sense of distance, thus enemy X will charge me despite being inside a temple 200m away :-"

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Okay, but that's not an example of bending the rules, it's an example of breaking them.

When I build an NPC, I do everything from the ground up. I attribute stats, almost always in the same amount I give the players, and take feats, assign skills, choose spells, etc. Then, I give him items or special abilities that I deem consistent within the framework of my story.

I have had players ask, "How did he have this?" or "How did he do that?" They haven't always been happy with my answer, but normally they are. When they aren't happy with my answer, it's never because I didn't follow the same character building conventions but because they either didn't think about it or, if they did, then they misunderstood the rules.

So, yeah Kaftan, I'd have been irritated also. I probably wouldn't have made a big deal of it, but if my GM kept doing stuff like that, I might jump ship on his campaign.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Alanschu disagreeing without actually having any good indication what he disagrees about...

Because I was admitting it's been a long time since I played the game, and don't remember the details. One thing I do remember was attributing the title of TBB to Horrigan.

Like I said, I'd need to play the game again, especially considering what I look for in games has probably changed. It's been years since I finished Fallout 2.