Dungeons and Dragons Online

karka

Guild Wars and soon to be NWN2 are the only new games worth playing online. Worth = free.

Wait a sec Gabrielle, are you saying you don't like the idea of a monthly fee? That's shocking! Why not?

Why not? It's not like servers, client updates, content updates cost money for the developers right?

... anways, atleast MasterRevan put that he was cheap, unlike Gab who thinks she is always right.

I know I am right. :thumbsup:

There are other means to make up for their "lost" revenue for server updates, etc. Ads, higher cost of the game, which games are already a high cost, and other sources that they can use to make up for their money. I don't see Blizzard, Bioware, and Arena net whining about costs for up keep. If they were they would start charging a monthly fee.

You know you go buy a product at an outragous sum of money 49.99-59.99 dollars and they want to tak on a 14.99 monthly fee to play it? Right.

Guild Wars and soon to be NWN2 are the only new games worth playing online. Worth = free.

Wait a sec Gabrielle, are you saying you don't like the idea of a monthly fee? That's shocking! Why not?

Why not? It's not like servers, client updates, content updates cost money for the developers right?

... anways, atleast MasterRevan put that he was cheap, unlike Gab who thinks she is always right.

I know I am right. ;)

There are other means to make up for their "lost" revenue for server updates, etc. Ads, higher cost of the game, which games are already a high cost, and other sources that they can use to make up for their money. I don't see Blizzard, Bioware, and Arena net whining about costs for up keep. If they were they would start charging a monthly fee.

You know you go buy a product at an outragous sum of money 49.99-59.99 dollars and they want to tak on a 14.99 monthly fee to play it? Right.

You are seriously trying to compared Diablo to something like World of Warcraft or Final Fantasy XI? You might want to research a bit more. If people were charging a monthly fee for something like Diablo, there would be monthly fees for every single FPS as well.

Anyways, you really should just admit that you are cheap. :thumbsup:

Heh. If MMORPGs were actually good enough (or maybe just actually good, period) to warrant a monthly fee, I'd gladly pay them. Otherwise, their marginal utility relative to their cost is pretty meh.

Clearly the 5 million people paying to play WoW are idiots.

You're one of them! :thumbsup:

For me, the main thing is that I want my gaming to have a point. I don't find pointless grinding and performing random quests fun. I don't care about reaching level 45 for the sake of it, I don't care about hunting down a dragon in order to gain rewards, and I certainly don't care about roleplaying Night Elves taking off their clothes in order to provide a richer gaming experience. The grind in GW, which was already pretty toned down compared to a full-fledged MMORPG, was mind-numbingly nauseating.

All this as just an excuse to serve as a backdrop for a social experience is justifiable, but that's what RL is for. Besides, the majority of online gamers are morons.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I would like to add to the wise words of Llyranor, above, that I fully understand the need to escape the dreariness of reality for those in Corea and China (oh, do I want to live to starve another day / go to my skull-grindingly dull job, or pretend I am a dragon-killing super-hero?) and indeed the concomitant extensive social interaction that an online world provides above and completely beyond that which is available IRL to some people.

I'm just not one who needs this. :D

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Yeah I am cheap, I live out in the real world not at mom and dads house. I have expenses and bills to pay every month, and I barely get by as it is. I'm lucky if I can save enough money in three months to buy a new game.

Do you think everyone playing these games pays for it with their parents allowance? I'd say the majority are adults. Personally I never would have been able to afford an online game when I lived with my parents. I barely had any money UNTIL I got out in the real world. Now $15 is about the cheapest bill I have. Next to my mortgage payment, it's basically nothing.

I totally understand not liking MMORPG's. There are some very lame things about them. But the monthly cost is extremely reasonable. I want game companies to succeed. I want them to rake in the dough so that they can grow and improve their game design. The monthly cost allows companies to do more than just maintain servers, it allows them to build the game over time and improve on their virtual world.