Character progression in CRPGs

Diogo Ribeiro

EDIT: Just to expand on this a bit for (hopefully) more positive discussion...

It seems to me that a similar approach to freeform roleplaying can often go hand in hand with roleplaying in the context of a game (ie, with rules, as opposed to freeform which is akin to pure acting). To an extent there's this burning desire to see a continued implementation of character definition within the game's rules - subject to various methods of scrutiny that judge and appraise the character in formal (ie, statistical) ways - along with the use of more and better storytelling (y halo thar Llyranor!) by means of allowing for a better dialogue flow and use that doesn't rely heavilly on the character's formalities.

I'm not advocating a numberless system (or the absence of any defining character development system) but rather that perhaps there's a place for a more accentuated use of character definition trough quantitative and qualitative methods that influence statistical and 'personal' development.

On the subject of alignment I mentioned this before. It's my belief that alignment should often determine what kind of responses are available to the character. Not to the point of overshadowing other roleplaying nuances, but PCs of a given alignment should have more answers available to them depending on their moral views.

On the subject of alignment I mentioned this before. It's my belief that alignment should often determine what kind of responses are available to the character. Not to the point of overshadowing other roleplaying nuances, but PCs of a given alignment should have more answers available to them depending on their moral views.

Well, I would suggest that the options are there (for the "Lawful Good" character to axe-murder all the liitle children in the route to the dragon he must deal with): certainly this would have a dramatic effect on the PC's alignment ... :D

I don't think the game's engine is there to nanny the gamer, merely to provide the framework for people to do anything. Reputation, I feel, helps balance the alignment choices made by the character; this can be augmented by some sort of historical "background" quality as well, for in-game NPC biases (oh, you're a dwarf: we elves hate your kind).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT