Jagged Alliance 2

alanschu

Unfortunately JA3 looks to be a doomed project. It's being developed by Mistland, which has released some truly bad strategy games.

First, they are a Russian developer, which means the dialogue and story will be written in another language and translated into English. This is rarely done right.

Second, they are supposedly trying to change the turn based combat to a more phased based...like a real time with pause. That has never worked in these games.

Third, they have a demo out for a game called ALFA: Antiterror. It's the same game engine they are using in JA3. Supposedly it's not that good.

Unfortunately JA3 looks to be a doomed project.  It's being developed by Mistland, which has released some truly bad strategy games.

First, they are a Russian developer, which means the dialogue and story will be written in another language and translated into English.  This is rarely done right.

Second, they are supposedly trying to change the turn based combat to a more phased based...like a real time with pause.  That has never worked in these games.

Third, they have a demo out for a game called ALFA: Antiterror.  It's the same game engine they are using in JA3.  Supposedly it's not that good.

COPS: Power of Law and ALFA both sucked the big one. Any JA made by Mistland is a doomed project. Like I said, though, JA3 apparently *isn't* made by them anymore. We'll see.

I'm not going to hold my breath. I just want Sid Meier to make the next Xcom.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Alma has been liberated!

Though apparently there was a military base there, and my squad was pretty beat up. Thank goodness fo Scope and my Merc with their night op abilities. My Merc is quickly building up his marksmanship skill and with his stealth ability, has already been able to sneak up behind people for some great stealth kills.

I ended up swapping out my MP5-SD3 with a standard MP5-A3 SMG and gave it a silencer. The game was buggy with respect to whether or not it should make the SD3 round silenced when firing. I have had no problems when the gun has an actual silencer on it though.

My squad was pretty beat up, but suffered no fatalities. I have called in Biff Apscot and Flo from MERC for some cheap militia trainers, and they should be here in the morning. With the lack of SAM coverage, I can drop them right in Alma (which is why I chose Alma over the middle town).

The extra funds will make it easier for me to replace people such as Ira from my primary squad. Though right now I'm just using myself, scope, and MD as my primary attackers. MD has made quite a name for himself. He saved Barry from some heavy wounds, and is becoming a pretty accurate shot.

Oh, what point does the flower merchant have?

Muahahaha.

Next on the recruiting block is definitely Shadow. His perma-Camo and Stealth Abilities are very useful for my sniper with scope and laser sight. I'll have him spot for me as I pick them off. He's also skilled enough to interrupt if need be.

My merc just hit level 4, and is about +22 in Marksmanship (at 70ish now), so he's getting pretty good at picking people off with his rifle.

I stop to train the militia to max capacity. Plus, my encounters in the mine level of Drassen, and especially the SAM Site, left me pretty battered so I needed to heal up.

Alma was also tough as I almost lost a few mercs (Barry was "dying" at one point). I also couldn't do much on day 2 as I had like $800. So I'd have to walk there, in a wounded condition.

Edited by alanschu

Wow, I wonder if it's your tactics... or the mod. :ph34r:

I'm guessing the mod :D You seem seasoned.

In the base game I usually leave my main cheapie group to secure the airport and SAM after we've cleared it, and then send my Main and Ira to take out Alma.

Night Ops x2 FTW baby :p

Then I hope I can get people down to Alma before de fuher can send troops to retake it. :ph34r:

My tactics are to never leave a team undefended. I also am conservative with my Mercs, because I'd rather they didn't die.

Being that I went for a high quality guy first didn't help either, as it left me with virtually no money at the beginning of the game, and I didn't feel like assaulting the SAM Site with a group of three. Even with Night Ops x2, I'd have too few people to stop the swarm of guys coming at me.

The mod has seemed to have created a ton of guys though. When raiding the Alma prison, as well as the warehouse, had easily around 20 soldiers....maybe more. Also, when I captured the SAM Site I stuck around to recover from wounds, repair looted items, and train milita. It's a good thing I stuck around too, as that black ops team got there real quick and I had only been able to train one group of militia.

Definately the mod then.

I'm gonna have to get it.

I always found the base game too easy (except for those blasted aliens)

And hiring a merc with high end equipment probably doesn't work in the mod since you've got this "take all" or "leave all" or whatever thing going.

The only real reason to do it is because equipment is so scares at the begining (of the normal game)

The Merc with phat equipment is less important definitely. The G41 provides a limited advantage, as the game doesn't scale the difficulty as much in terms of what your guys are fiighting. I'm not fighting with just pistols at the beginning.

Though I could probably still do well without the drop all. Every battle with 20+ guys leaves mountains of weapons on the ground. The only real purpose of Bobby Ray's is to get special ammo and equipment (toolkits and stuff). A few guys I have fought have already had Spectra Vests and Spectra helmets.

The problem with the high ground is that the guy still rush you there. They like to hang out on the roof tops themselves. It worked really well for the warehouse district, as only a handful were on the rooftops. The prison was insane, with me killing at least 60%-70% of the guys on the rooftop (i.e. they were ON the rooftop). If it wasn't for Night Ops +UV Goggles, I doubt I would have stood a chance.

I typically do try to get on the rooftop, as it usually seems darker (out of street lights), and you do get a bonus for attacking down (according to a FAQ I read anyways). Apparently there's a rooftop sniping feat (that we can't get with the questionnaire though) that provides additional bonuses for rooftop sniping.

Oh, one question, you're using the high ground right? :wub:

Most of Alma should be pretty easy when you're on the rooftops :)

in 1.13 Deidranna's troops will now climb on roof tops as well.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

The problem with the high ground is that the guy still rush you there.  They like to hang out on the roof tops themselves.  It worked really well for the warehouse district, as only a handful were on the rooftops.  The prison was insane, with me killing at least 60%-70% of the guys on the rooftop (i.e. they were ON the rooftop).  If it wasn't for Night Ops +UV Goggles, I doubt I would have stood a chance.

I typically do try to get on the rooftop, as it usually seems darker (out of street lights), and you do get a bonus for attacking down (according to a FAQ I read anyways).  Apparently there's a rooftop sniping feat (that we can't get with the questionnaire though) that provides additional bonuses for rooftop sniping.

when fighting at night use breaklights to keep from getting rushed.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.