Why does sound config say EAX disabled?

I have a SoundBlaster Audigy Platinum with latest drivers that I installed on January 21st 2006 yet when I go to the sound section in the Options menus it shows that EAX is disabled. Why is KOTOR2 not detecting that I have EAX capable hardware?

I've tried editing the .ini file to change EAX=0 to EAX=1 but this has no effect and it is reset to 0 again when I reload .ini file after launching KOTOR2.

EAX is detected and working fine in other games installed on my PC.

Any help is appreciated.

DE

Edited by darrenecm

Someone get battlewookie this looks tough.  No idea.  Possibly the devs at OE couldn't see into the future hence couldn't see the fact that there would be a SB Audigy platinum, and hence didn't design for one.

You might try shutting EAX off in the Audigy console and then see if the game picks it up.

I think the game makes a query, and misinterprets or doesn't understand the answer. Or it might simply ignore it because it's already there.

Same thing has happened for me in a number of games; I think it was in NWN that the game actually refused to run or crashed if I had EAX support enabled. Some of the games that did detect it have sounded like I was playing in an echo chamber--couldn't hear the voices through the sound of water dripping--it sounded to me like the game AND the sound card were both adding effects.

Thanks for the suggestions. My main concern is that with the 'EAX is disabled' message showing in the sounds option, is hardware acceleration being used to play sounds? I've already seen instances in the game where the framerates plummet and the game stutters. This is despite running KOTOR on a Athlon 64 FX-57 with 2Gb ram and GeForce 7800 GTX. The graphics in KOTOR are somewhat dated and somplistic so why the slowdown? It seems to happen a lot when there's lots of smoke/steam effects and I've seen posts in here of framerate nightmares in certain locations/planets.

Could it be my sound is running in software mode and putting load on the CPU? I would be surprised my FX-57 couldn't handle this though >_<