Deus Ex Problems

Tel Aviv

Bought a shiny new laptop recently, not a bad spec, mid range I suppose. Unfortunately it runs Deus Ex too fast meaning dialogue is cut short and characters are roadrunner esque is speed (Paul really needs to cut down on his skittles). I figure since the game is so popular, especially here, I can't be the only one to encounter this problem. I've had a quick google for patches, nothing yet. Any ideas?

Bought a shiny new laptop recently, not a bad spec, mid range I suppose. Unfortunately it runs Deus Ex too fast meaning dialogue is cut short and characters are roadrunner esque is speed (Paul really needs to cut down on his skittles). I figure since the game is so popular, especially here, I can't be the only one to encounter this problem. I've had a quick google for patches, nothing yet. Any ideas?

I have to say that i have no idea besides updating your drivers. I never heard of this problem before.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

What kind of laptop? WHat are the specs?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

That's a bizarre bug. Modern games don't really have that problem as they are usually threaded to prevent things from going waaaay to fast like older games. (I remember playing Police Quest 3 on my 400 MHz machine...wowzers did I drive fast).

But I've played Deus Ex on a wide variety of machines, from a 450 MHz K6-2, to a 650 MHz Duron, 1 GHz Athlon, 1400 MHz Athlon XP, as well as my current computer which is an Athlon64 3500+ (2.2 GHz I believe). I've also gone through a slough of video cards. THe problem you are describing shouldn't be solved by upping the video requirements, as you're running the game itself too fast....framerates shouldn't matter.

It's almost like you are in timedemo mode.

EDIT: Of course it seems you fixed the problem anyways :rolleyes:"

What did you need to change in the .ini?

Edited by alanschu

Beneath Engine.GameInfo I added the line "GameSpeed=0.900000". Odd thing is though, each time I return to the game after exiting the clockspeed has reverted back to godspeed. I have to reedit the ini again despite the line already being there. Strange.