Blank screen at intro movie (Sis 760 video card)

OK i bought Kotor for chrismas when i got a new computer. it worked but was a little laggy but i didnt mind. it was an awsome game so i got kotor 2 and was really excited only to find it was a blank screen then pulled up the kotor has encountered a problem and needs to close we are sorry for the inconvenience. so i close it and restart computer and try over and over again. then i reinstalled and it played the opening video! i was excited but then it closed again right before it should say new game, load game, options, exit. i really want to play this game but i dont know what to do. here are the specs.

[sWKotOR]

ReportDateTime=1/15/2006 10:50:09 PM

SysInfoVersion=v1.00.60

GameExists=1

GameVersion=v2.10.427

GameInstallLocation=C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\

[OS]

Name=WinXP

Version=Windows XP v5.1 build 2600 Service Pack 2

Service Pack=Service Pack 2

Status=Pass

[swapFiles]

C:\pagefile.sys=576

[CPU]

CPUCount=1

CPUSpeed=1808

CPUFamily=15

CPUModel=12

CPUStepping=2

CPUVendor=AMD

CPUName=AMD Sempron Processor 3000+

Status=Pass

[Memory]

RAM=384

Status=Warning

[Disk Free Space]

C: (NTFS), UNICODE=49.03GB

D: (FAT32), UNICODE=2.10GB

Status=Pass

[CD-ROMs]

DriveLetters=E:\

Drives=LITE-ON COMBO SOHC-4836K,LITEON DVD-ROM LTD-166S

[Video]

Video Card Name=SiS 760

Video Memory=128

Desktop Resolution=1024x768x32 @ 60Hz

DirectX=DirectX 9.0c (4.09.00.0904)

OpenGL Version=1.4.0

OpenGL Vendor=SiS

OpenGL Renderer=760 VGA

Vid Card Status=Warning

Vid Card Driver Status=Pass

GL Status=Pass

DX Status=Pass

[Audio]

Sound Card Name=Realtek AC'97 Audio

Status=Pass

;Game Options from swkotor2.ini

[Display Options]

FullScreen=1

Disable Movies=0

Disable Intro Movies=0

Sort Modules=1

Width=640

Height=480

BitsPerPixels=32

RefreshRate=60

[sound Options]

Number 3D Voices=16

Number 2D Voices=24

2D3D Bias=0.50

Force Software=0

EAX=0

Sound Init=0

Disable Sound=1

[Graphics Options]

EnableHardwareMouse=1

FullScreen=0

RefreshRate=75

Width=800

Height=600

V-Sync=1

Texture Quality=0

Anti Aliasing=0

Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1

AllowWindowedMode=1

[Game Options]

TooltipDelay Sec=1

Disable Movies=1

[config]

firstrun=0

[Keymapping]

Action286B=8

Action286A=7

Action285B=10

Action285A=9

Action284B=54

Action284A=51

Action283B=54

Action283A=51

Action282B=69

Action282A=73

Action281B=53

Action281A=76

Action280B=69

Action280A=73

Action268=52

Action265=58

Action264=57

Action263=43

Action262=85

Action261=84

Action260=83

Action259=82

Action258=81

Action257=80

Action256=79

Action255=78

Action254=77

Action253=31

Action245=75

Action244=55

Action243=67

Action242=74

Action241=87

Action240=56

Action239=68

Action238=82

Action236=83

Action234=81

Action232=80

Action230=79

Action228=78

Action226=77

Action225=70

Action224=90

Action223=31

Action222=25

Action221=24

Action220=29

Action219=28

Action218=42

Action217=87

Action216=65

Action215=63

Action214=60

Action213=62

Action212=61

Action211=66

Action210=59

Action209=71

Action208=89

Action207=72

Action206=30

Action205=55

Action204=67

Edited by Newbert_zero

OK i bought Kotor for chrismas when i got a new computer. it worked but was a little laggy but i didnt mind. it was an awsome game so i got kotor 2 and was really excited only to find it was a blank screen then pulled up the kotor has encountered a problem and needs to close we are sorry for the inconvenience. so i close it and restart computer and try over and over again. then i reinstalled and it played the opening video! i was excited but then it closed again right before it should say new game, load game, options, exit. i really want to play this game but i dont know what to do. here are the specs.

[sWKotOR]

ReportDateTime=1/15/2006 10:50:09 PM

SysInfoVersion=v1.00.60

GameExists=1

GameVersion=v2.10.427

GameInstallLocation=C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\

[OS]

Name=WinXP

Version=Windows XP v5.1 build 2600 Service Pack 2

Service Pack=Service Pack 2

Status=Pass

[swapFiles]

C:\pagefile.sys=576

[CPU]

CPUCount=1

CPUSpeed=1808

CPUFamily=15

CPUModel=12

CPUStepping=2

CPUVendor=AMD

CPUName=AMD Sempron Processor 3000+

Status=Pass

[Memory]

RAM=384

Status=Warning

[Disk Free Space]

C: (NTFS), UNICODE=49.03GB

D: (FAT32), UNICODE=2.10GB

Status=Pass

[CD-ROMs]

DriveLetters=E:\

Drives=LITE-ON COMBO SOHC-4836K,LITEON DVD-ROM LTD-166S

[Video]

Video Card Name=SiS 760

Video Memory=128

Desktop Resolution=1024x768x32 @ 60Hz

DirectX=DirectX 9.0c (4.09.00.0904)

OpenGL Version=1.4.0

OpenGL Vendor=SiS

OpenGL Renderer=760 VGA

Vid Card Status=Warning

Vid Card Driver Status=Pass

GL Status=Pass

DX Status=Pass

[Audio]

Sound Card Name=Realtek AC'97 Audio

Status=Pass

;Game Options from swkotor2.ini

[Display Options]

FullScreen=1

Disable Movies=0

Disable Intro Movies=0

Sort Modules=1

Width=640

Height=480

BitsPerPixels=32

RefreshRate=60

[sound Options]

Number 3D Voices=16

Number 2D Voices=24

2D3D Bias=0.50

Force Software=0

EAX=0

Sound Init=0

Disable Sound=1

[Graphics Options]

EnableHardwareMouse=1

FullScreen=0

RefreshRate=75

Width=800

Height=600

V-Sync=1

Texture Quality=0

Anti Aliasing=0

Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1

AllowWindowedMode=1

Im no expert or anything but i think the two items i noted may/could be your problem

The fact that you show a warning status with your RAM may mean you have a problem there. You also may not have enough. I know you meet the requirements listed on the box but it also says 512MB is recommended Check your ram and fix/upgrade as needed

I'm not sure about this but I always thought that Realtek AC 97 was onboard sound. It may have a conflict there and I'm also thinking that AC 97 has a problem with DX 9.0c. There may be some updated drivers for it. You can also try turning hardware acceleration back on the sound. Do a DXdiag and see if anything shows up.

You may want to try and increase your swap file too. I've heard this helps with some other games making transitions smoother so it could possibly help here too

if it dont work let us/me know

good luck!

Edited by knighthawk66

as for RAM you need to find out what type of RAM you have or what kind your computer can use then go to a computer parts store and buy what you need.

For the sound issue from your desktop click on the start button. click on the Run Program button, then type in dxdiag. The Direct X diagnosis program should open and you can then perform any sound or video test. It should also have a section where you can go in and turn down the hardware acceleration 1 notch for sound as well as one for video acceleration.

Leave the swapfile alone. You might mess up something so I'm not gonna tell ya how to do that.

If this is a newer computer and you have access to some type of over the phone tech support they can tell you where to find (or may be able to look up) your PC specs for the kind of RAM you have. When I bought my DELL I had this and they told me what kind of RAM I had and could upgrade to. But they also wanted me to send my computer back to them so they could install it. I ended up buying my own and installing it myself. For me it was as simple as getting what i wanted and putting the sticks in.

You can also call Geek Squad. They are a computer tech support group that works with BESTBUY. They should be able to help you out even if you didnt buy your computer from BESTBUY.

good luck

dangit its still not working and i dont have the money to buy ram or video cards espessially considering it still might not work then. I dont understand why it works for kotor 1 and not the bug infested kotor 2. is there somthing else that could be the problem?

Edited by Newbert_zero

one other thing you can try is to run the SWCONFIG utility. it will give you the recommended settings to use. you may also want to try checking the box in there that says force software sound that may help. There are alot of other things that you can try you just need to read around these forums a bunch.

here are a couple of links to try

http://www2.whidbey.net/kscully/newsite/ga...TOR2_Guide.html

http://support.lucasarts.com/tsg/SWKotORIITableContents.htm

you can also try this website to check to see if you have a bad stick of RAM. ( i think you just may not have enough)

http://simmtester.com/page/products/doc/docinfo.asp

sorry i cant be of more help

one thing i have noticed that is strange is that the first time i intalled the game it didnt even show the intro movie (not really a movie just the obsideon logo) after i reinstalled it it showed the logo and the image before the new game, load game etc should be. but i cant get past that part

one thing i have noticed that is strange is that the first time i intalled the game it didnt even show the intro movie (not really a movie just the obsideon logo) after i reinstalled it it showed the logo and the image before the new game, load game etc should be. but i cant get past that part

I read the KOTOR 2 trouble shooting guide and it includes this section attched below about intergrated Video cards. I think the combination of your integrated Video card with the fact that you have barely enough RAM is why your game is not working at all....Sorry

Integrated Video Chipsets

When your computer has an onboard video chip on the motherboard and the system only meets the minimum requirement for RAM, you may experience various problems that occur because the video chipset may use system memory for its video memory. You may experience the following issues:

Edited by Stewdawg24

"I'm god. I may not be 'The God', but I'm definately a god." - Ground Hog's Day

Visit: http://www.paulvomero.com/

so what video card would work with my computer and this game and how much would it cost?

Like Knight Hawk said in the other thread your best bet would be to get yourself some more RAM. Go to www.Crucial.com and they can scan your computer and telly you how much RAM your computer can take and how much it will cost. 1 GB of RAM will probably set you back 150.00. But in the end you'lll want it not just for games but your whole system will run better. If you have windows XP you should have at least 512mb.

PC gaming is expensive. In order to play most of todays PC games, at least the way they were intended, you need to have a decent graphics card ($250.00), sound card ($100.00) and at the very least 1 gb of RAM. That's not even including the specs of the main system. Needlesss to say KOTOR 2 was fun on XBOX plus there's a lot of other great games on that system.

Edited by Stewdawg24

i dont totally agree with ya Stew. This game played pretty dam good on my 5 year old computer. Yep I said it 5 years old!!!! I have a 933mhz Pentium 3 with a 128mb Nvidia Fx5200 and 512 mb of RAM. It doesnt run the game flawlessly, there are still a couple times where it hangs up or lags but at least I was able to get pretty decent framerates and finish the game.

Lots of luck to ya Newbert

Edited by knighthawk66

so are u guys sure this is a problem with my ram? or could it be somthing else still? we still have our 4 year old computer maybe i could take some parts from there. i think we had a nvida geforce card or somthing like that. i think it had 128 ram but i doubt i could add it to this computer

Edited by Newbert_zero

364mb is enough to surf the web and do word processing stuff just fine. But as for gaming you need at least 512mb. With WinXP you need at least 1GB regardless of what youre doing. Your RAM is creating a bottleneck where things slow down or come to a stop. You need to have things running smoothly with your PC in order for your programs to work right.

You dont necessarily need to get another system or do massive upgrades to the one you have but doing some basic things will get you up to speed. One thing that Stew said that is true is that the games these days are built for higher speed systems. And they will only get more intense in the near future. Doing some small upgrades now will keep you from buying a new computer a year from now when the one you have is outdated. (like mine was 3 months after I bought it)

it really depends on the games you were playing. Some are not that graphic intense. I'm overdue for a new computer myself but $$ is just too tight these days to be able to get one that I want. Sure I can blow a weeks pay on a $600=$700 computer but it wont be what I want and will soon be needing an upgrade.

Try and see what kind of RAM sticks you have. If you only have three 128mb sticks then find out how much 1 more of the same will cost you. That would at least get you 512MB. Who knows it may end up being less than $100 and it could be all the difference in the world.

You'll definitley need at least 512 MB ram to run most games, along with a decent video card. My e machines came w/ an integrated graphics thing and ran almost no good games...a few 2d games worked...(windows xp)...but I added 512 mb of ram and got a video card...RADEON 9550, a somewhat older one but most games run just fine on it...sound seems to be causing the black screen problem i'm having at a certain movie in kotor 2 which led me to this page and im just looking for someone who may kow how to fix this...the games fades to a black screen in-between movies and freezes...the sound starts to loop at 1 sec intervals and the game crashes... >_<

i dont totally agree with ya Stew. This game played pretty dam good on my 5 year old computer.  Yep I said it 5 years old!!!!  I have a 933mhz Pentium 3 with a 128mb Nvidia Fx5200 and 512 mb of RAM. It doesnt run the game flawlessly, there are still a couple times where it hangs up or lags but at least I was able to get pretty decent framerates and finish the game.

Lots of luck to ya Newbert

That's why I added the caveat "at the least the way they were intended." God knows I don't have enough money to buy a new Ge Force 7800 or whatever graphics card is the new flavor of the month. I'm playing KOTOR 2 with an ATI 9200 SE with 768 mb Ram on 2.4 p4 and it runs smooth but it doesn't look nearly as good as it could if I had a new Alienware ALX (I drool just thinking about it!) Unfortunately, today software is out in front of hardware and in order to keep up you have to upgrade. That's why console gaming is so popular. You drop 250 bucks and that's it. Granted you don't get everything you can with PC gaming but at least it's consistent.

Also Newbert go to Crucial.com and have them scan your computer. It will tell you how many slots you have and how much RAM your computer can take. You could probably drop 512mb stick in there for about 60 bucks. The scan will also tell you what graphics cards are compatiable with your computer. This will give you some idea of how much iti would cost to upgrade.

Edited by Stewdawg24