morrowind noob help

Walsingham

Guest Fishboot
My one question, which I forgot earlier, is how do I make things permanently in effect? I have tried clicking the button changing used to strike, and it never shows permanent no matter what I put in.

Only Golden Saint and Ascended Sleeper (not Dagoths taking the form of Sleepers) souls can be used to make permanent enchantments in the base game. I highly recommend you stop asking for spoilers, because you seem to be in a very good envelope of perception at the moment and talking about the game will only shorten the amount of time in which you can live in the gameworld without the seeing the seams break verisimilitude.

My one question, which I forgot earlier, is how do I make things permanently in effect? I have tried clicking the button changing used to strike, and it never shows permanent no matter what I put in.

Only Golden Saint and Ascended Sleeper (not Dagoths taking the form of Sleepers) souls can be used to make permanent enchantments in the base game. I highly recommend you stop asking for spoilers, because you seem to be in a very good envelope of perception at the moment and talking about the game will only shorten the amount of time in which you can live in the gameworld without the seeing the seams break verisimilitude.

Yeah, enjoy it while you're in the "zone" ... I hope you don't find it too boring, too soon. :*

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Very wise, although I fear you may underestimate my powers of reality dissociation. My willing suspension of disbelief even allowed me to get scared watching Blair Witch (but not The Ring). Looking at too many help pages does indeed spoil the 'Holy feth what is THAT' effect, as you crest a rise to discover some new animal wandering around beneath.

The only trouble with not using help pages is that one never knows if an object is obvious to everyone but you, or is underneath a book somewhere that everyone else would take ...and so on. I dislike having to traipse around looking for things I should already have. Especially when it turns out it was never meant to be there in the first place. On the subject of which, with great effort I managed to search a smuggling suspect's entire house without any success at all in discovering his illicit goods. I don't want to know what is going on. i just like the idea that you could be sent after someone who is in fact innocent. It would be funny to have to go back, apologise, and maybe pay compensation.

On the subject of free form gaming, I have almost completely ignored the main plot lines, in favour of just hiking around, taking in the air, and practicing my sword skills on the ever-present cliff-racers. I am now beginning to get seriously worried that I may have inadvertently murdered people vital to the quests. Oh well, will have to see.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

On the subject of free form gaming, I have almost completely ignored the main plot lines, in favour of just hiking around, taking in the air, and practicing my sword skills on the ever-present cliff-racers. I am now beginning to get seriously worried that I may have inadvertently murdered people vital to the quests. Oh well, will have to see.

Do not trouble yourself; the world is cracked asunder when a critical character's life is taken: you will know if this happens. (Go on, try it and see. :o" MAke sure you have a recent save to reload afterwards, though.)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I am now beginning to get seriously worried that I may have inadvertently murdered people vital to the quests. Oh well, will have to see.

If you murder anyone who is vital to the main quest, a box pops up saying something like 'The thread of prophecy is broken' i.e. you've screwed up the main quest. It's made explicit, and that's important because Bethesda were really encouraging the approach that you're taking (evidenced by the not-very-special main quest, in my opinion).

Actually, in almost all cases, even if you kill someone 'vital' and get the message, it's still possible to take a backdoor route and complete the main quest. That's something you definitely don't want to investigate until you've finished once.

Remember also that Morrowind is one game that allows you to continue once you've finished the main quest, and there are a few new things and choices that appear only at this stage.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Gruvuh. then i shall continue to investigate all these wird sites and carvings and punish the heretics (read people with expensive stuff). Nice to know I can still kill people relevant to the quest, though. On of the most aggravating things in the whole of BG2 was

that ass-monkey who came and demanded Drizzt's stuff back after I killed him.

. I tried so hard to kill him it wasn't funny. But oh no, their precious poster child had to get his things back. *grumble grumble*

Anyway, the new double-handed hammer - Fides - is the business. a two second drain of endurance 48, coupled with up to 38 electrical damage. On top of a 1-50 crushing blow most fights are over on the first swing. Which I like for its emphasis on stealth and speed. If I can creep up on someone (very rare) then ...I'll shut up now.

My only beef is that I never seem to get any endurance transferred to me. Clearly this could be due to me choosing the wrong stat or something, but...

On a related topic, and again not wanting to ask for spoilers, but just to report on progress,

I have found the hammer 'Sunder'. It seems very sexy, but it kills me whenever I put my paws on it.

Rather like most women.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

drain endurance does exactly that, it drains their endurance. it doesn't transfer over to you, because it's not an absorb spell, so all it does is lowers their endurance stat for the specified amount of time.

endurance affects your max health, so draining someone's endurance will just temporarily lower their max hit points. so it probably would have been better to enchant it with drain/absorb health/fatigue.

so you got Sunder :)

you need a specific item to stop it from killing you, but you'll get it sooner or later :)

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Cheers, Shrykey. I assumed that endurance would lower their resistance to future attacks, as well as sucking life. So a particularly tough bastard, I can land one lucky blow and the next few are easier. Speaking of which I should have chosen a longer time frame and less effect. Ah well. I have found another hammer of the same base material and am working towards building a new swinging deathticle.

The main thing about the hammer, was the roleplaying aspect. Pax Imperialis was just a powerful shiny hammer. Fides (Faith/Loyalty/Obedience) is a darker thing. i wanted something that struck at an essential quality in the enemy, and it was _supposed_ to boost my own endurance into the bargain. The electricity effect was mainly for the sound effects, and because I figured the oppositionw ould be just comfy with hellfire, living in a

volcano

As an aside, I have tos ay that the ash storms in the game are my favourite visual effect ever, when combined with the flapping banners, and the way people facing the wind raise one arm to protect their faces, and the sound effects. Very immersive. Traversing the slopes of the Red Mountain in such weather is extremely oppressive.

-Elwood Blues

well if you're using blunt weapons, you could go for a staff or something, coz they have lots of enchantment points (ebony staff has 100 if i recall correctly)

but as for the drain endurance thing intending to weaken them, you could try going for something like weakness to shock damage :)

drain attribute spells aren't all that great (drain speed is alright if you intend to run away though), it's better just to go with absorb health or whatever

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Yes, Weakness effects are useful (especially since the spells seem to cost way too much and with a low success rate for what they're worth. :/)... personally, being mainly magely, I've been experimenting with Weakness to Shock + Shock Damage spells and the like, but the cost is still hefty and it's difficult to determine whether the weakness effects are cumulative.

Ah well. I can still revert back to my dai-katana, absorb 28 health per hit. :p

I liked the serendipidous fact that I chose a character class with magical resistance, so that when I got a certain item that was unusable without it, I could use it. That made the game berable for me.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Welll, I'm sticking with the Hammer anyway, even though I have now realised that the slow swing time means I simply cannot hit a person twice in the time necessary to take advantage of the endurance _absorb_ (I checked) effect. Hey ho. I found another hammer of the same type so no worries. Maybe absorb health would be better... grumble grumble roleplaying vs tactics grumble.

I am NOT using a fething staff. What do you think I am, a ponce?

One thing that is getting to me is the ridiculously cheesy shimmer that MW has on all magic items. I have taken to wearing a discrete robe to cover the shame of the christmas tree twinkling. I have been trying to find a mod or tweak to stop this, to no avail. Can anyone help?

Edit: that should have read "sticking with the hammer". Snappy moves and parachute pants have no place in high fantasy.

-Elwood Blues

sorry, i don't know of any mods like that  ;)

Well thanks, anyway. I just dislike the fact that my gorgeous detailed ebony armour is now all covered by matt white shiny. Cornsarnit.

-Elwood Blues

Guest Fishboot
One thing that is getting to me is the ridiculously cheesy shimmer that MW has on all magic items. I have taken to wearing a discrete robe to cover the shame of the christmas tree twinkling.  I have been trying to find a mod or tweak to stop this, to no avail. Can anyone help?

Glow-Away

One thing that is getting to me is the ridiculously cheesy shimmer that MW has on all magic items. I have taken to wearing a discrete robe to cover the shame of the christmas tree twinkling.  I have been trying to find a mod or tweak to stop this, to no avail. Can anyone help?

Glow-Away

YOU the man! I found that site, but could not work out any way to narrow the search effectively.

-Elwood Blues

Yes, Weakness effects are useful (especially since the spells seem to cost way too much and with a low success rate for what they're worth. :/)... personally, being mainly magely, I've been experimenting with Weakness to Shock + Shock Damage spells and the like, but the cost is still hefty and it's difficult to determine whether the weakness effects are cumulative.

Ah well. I can still revert back to my dai-katana, absorb 28 health per hit. :lol:

The weakness + affect spell combo works really well :x

In my last game I had like 50 weakness to fire mixed with a 100 damage fireball spell... things tended to die quickly :)

I'm with Tigranes. I don't want to run out of juice. Speaking of which, what is with all the cliff racers? What do they normally feed on, and how long will it take for a cliff racer to evolve that does not attack targets which are either glowing or cased in steel? I'd object to the savage fish, except they have the decency not to object to someone carrying half a tonne of armour being able to swim, so I figure we're about even.

EDIT: drunken typing corrected.

-Elwood Blues

Wouldn't that cost enough energy to make a pig fly? :p

With high levels in destruction and mysticism? Probably a lot, but not more than a character with high INT and the sign of the Autronach would have.

I mean my spell (Nuke) was -50 Fire resistance, 100 Fire damage and had a max area of affect.... and I could cast it.

Plus with Alchemy, you will always have more Magicka.