Speculation on the Jedi Masters

Well we can't tell if the war was fought on more fronts than the main one. Mainly because the comic only focus' on the main one. I'm going to have to point out that the comic has a very small vision. So instead of looking at it from an overall perspective they only look at it from the most prominent peoples positions. It'd be like looking at the American Civil War from only Grants perspective and where he is at any one time.

Yet I've never been able to see it like that, because nothing else is even alluded to. There is no "greater picture". Going from that, it would seem that the war *was* only fought on the main front.

Well we can't be sure about time because while it doesn't say that it does show scenes that seem to have a lot of time between them, for example when Ulic is captured the issue ends. The next issue seems to start at least a month afterwords considering that Aleema is whining about how many of her Commanders were rebelling against her because Ulic was gone.

I don't know about the whens and hows the issues end, since I have the compilation (a little rough around the edges now)- yet in that instance the exact phrasing of the panels goes:

"Cinneagar in the Empress Teta system. The Krath must regroup now that their leader, Ulic Qel-Droma has been captured. Aleema leads them now. But not all teh insurgent forces are willing to forget about Ulic so easily"

(Que people getting eaten alive by plant monster bwahaha)

As it says "now that their leader, Ulic Qel-Droma has been captured" - as opposed to "since", it seems to be happening as soon as they've gotten back to the Empress Teta system, it's also talking about regrouping - so even if it does take place a month after, hell, even it takes place several years after the Coruscant attack, they've faught no more battles in the Sith War since Coruscant, similarly, this is suggested by the fact Mandalore still obsesses over the "recent" botched Coruscant attack.

Also Mandalore ends up flying from Empress Teta to Yavin. I highly doubt that trip could have taken only a few seconds given what the EU has said about hyperspace. Then Exar goes from Yavin to Corecant and you seem to assume that that trip only takes a few seconds too. Just because somthing doesn't give you a time stamp doesn't mean that time doesn't pass. I just leaves the amount of time up to the reader.

Two seconds? No, possibly a day? Yes- Coruscant has pretty much every major hyperspace route going through it, it's the galactic captial for a reason and reaching it isn't too time consuming. Hmm actually, having said that, in TPM the royal starship doesn't have enough energy/power whatever to reach Corsucant... hmmm

Even so, it can't have taken too long, considering Ulic's trial begins before Kun leaves and ends when he arrives. Maybe it's the difference between the first and last day of his trial... *shrug* the point I'm making is that while its happening, Exar Kun isn't converting any more Jedi.

again just because somthing doesn't specifically tell you that time has passed doesn't mean it hasn't.

Of course, which is why I *have* gone through all the comics looking for instances where there could be a great deal of time passing, or where there could be other battles taking place. There aren't. At least, not enough for it to be a war on a galactic scale.

I thought I'd found it in the two-page spread of the Jedi masters being attacked... but no, as soon after you have Crado pleading with Kun to spare him for failing to kill the Jedi master - which assumedly would have happened earlier if "much time had passed" during the Jedi Master butchery.

Even if you stretch it out as much as possible, it cannot possibly last more than three months - which is hardly lesser in terms of magnitude than the Mandalorian Wars or the Jedi Civil War.

Just remember that I have no qualms with saying the Sith War was a gigantic conflict I can quite happily go with what the (original) Official Guide to Characters said:

"Exar Kun and Ulic disappeared for several years, gaining tremendous powers of the dark side. Kun created a distorted version of the Jedi Code for his dark-side followers, estsablishing a powerful Brotherhood of the Sith. Qel Droma reappeared, commanding his own militaristic and bloodthirsty Krath sect.

Eventually, Kun, Qel-Droma, and Aleema joined forces against the Galactic Republic and the Order of the Jedi Knights. The great council of Jedi convened on Deneba to discuss how to proceed. Master Vodo-Siosk Bass volunteeered to go to his onetime student and attempt to help him away from the dark side, but Kun slew his Master, forever servering his ties to the light side of the Force.

The conflict that resulted would become known through the ages as the Sith War, one of the largest and bloodiest wars the galaxy ever witnessed. The armies of the Sith and the Krath were responsible for millions of deaths. In the end, Ulic Qel-Droma betrayed Exar Kun by telling the Jedi about the Sith Lord's base of power on Yavin Four."

There was no "army of the Sith" in the comics, none at all. The Krath sure, and I suppose the massassi to an extent could be considered a "Sith army", but that's not what's implied above.

Best guess (and I'm using my imagination here people so bear with me) is that the Comics, instead of giving a linear retelling of the entire war from start to finish, are focusing only on the most significant of events in the plot line. They would have left out things like the training of the young renegades and releasing them again simply because it's boring and has very little to do with the overall plot line.

I do not accept that the comics give an accurate depiction of even the highlights of what actually happened. At best you could say that they were like the retelling of a myth - having the main events overblown, the main characters overblown, but nothing else contained because it had been forgotten. So the reason there were only few battles was because they were the only battles that could be rememebered in any great detail etc.

Which isn't the same as what you've just put forward which (seems to be) "the Sith War comics do present to us what happened, but everything else happens in the background" - there *is* no background. None at all - its not a case of being "told" that there's a background or not, its the fact that there is *nowhere fitting to insert it*. Nowhere.

And there were *only* twenty Jedi - there was never a point where Kun trains more and there is no place to assume that enough time passes for him to do so:

As soon as he's sent off the twenty Sith/Jedi, he runs to Ulic's trial. As *soon* as he gets back from Ulic's trial - they send Aleema to go blow herself up, then they raid Ossus. Then Ulic kills his brother, gets blocked from the Force and leads the Jedi to Yavin IV - where Kun is defeated. Regardless of how long this all takes - hyperspace journeys and all, the fact of the matter is that the events happen one after the other and nothing takes place inbetween.

I'm sorry that this irritates me so much, but I loved those comics when I was smaller ... it frustrates me looking back on them they appear so badly executed.

My complaint with what you said was that the Sith War seemed to be of a greater magnitude than the Jedi Civil War, yet regardess of whether this is true or not in the context of Star Wars continuity (and I'd say it probably was), if your opinion was taken purely from the reading of the comics I simply can't see how.

Besides, like it or not, the timeframe and events of the comics appear to have been retconned because of the sort of gripes people have with them - and also to better fit in with KotOR, which due to its popularity, has become in many ways a "higher" source of continuity than the TotJ comics... which is somewhat ironic given the fact that so many people complained about the liberties it took with continuity, but I'm not complaining.

Thus, if TotJ contradicts what's said in KotOR I and II... then its wrong. Much like with how the difference in technology works, the Basilisk War droids are completely different in TSL to what we see in TotJ - yet that's what the Mandalorians have been using all along.

Having said that, Dark Horse seems keen to turn KotOR into TotJ... that cover for the new series... :p Ah well, I'll read it anyway, it's got Taris in.. maybe Zayne turns into Darth Nihilus *rubs hands together evilly*.

actually my opinion wasn't taken strait from the comics I took part of it from the Guide to characters, Back of the Dark Empire Issues, and various other sources. I admit that the the comics are horribly written in comparison to the Jedi Academy trilogy (yes they are written by the same man) but just because I take my information PRIMARILY from the comics doesn't mean that I'm entirly wrong.

:Calax:

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

actually my opinion wasn't taken strait from the comics I took part of it from the Guide to characters, Back of the Dark Empire Issues, and various other sources. I admit that the the comics are horribly written in comparison to the Jedi Academy trilogy (yes they are written by the same man) but just because I take my information PRIMARILY from the comics doesn't mean that I'm entirly wrong.

:Calax:

Oh, right - well ok then. The comics tend to contradict all those other sources anyway... damnable things... I think KJA was on more crack than usual when writing them.