Questions about mods and Kotor 2

Guest Uncle Palpy

Guest Uncle Palpy

Long time viewer, first time poster... so please go easy. If not I will shot you with blue lightning from my fingers. Its science and you shouldn't question it.

I noticed the "Kotor Mods" sticky and thought I would ask some questions about mods. I may be asking this in the wrong forum or even at the wrong site, never the less.

- What happens when one mod conflicts with another mod? What would cause them to conflict and what steps can I take to avoid conflict? Besides removing one of the mods. *Take into consideration I know very little about mods.

- What is the Kotor save game editor? How do I use it, what does it do and if it's useful, where can I get it?

- What is this "override" folder that I hear about? I get the idea that I need one. What steps do I take to make one and what does it do?

- What is the Kotor mod manager? What does it do and do I need it?

I know these may be inane questions, but I would like to know as much as possible before I try to use mods. I appreciate any help you guys can give me.

Palpy

Save game editor here:

http://www.starwarsknights.com/tools.php

P.S. it's not a graphic interface editor, but you can change all kinds of things..

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Q1. I think that if you have two mods that relate to the same thing, then yes you would have conflicts. I have no idea how to alter mods or how to make them work for you.

Q2. I have no idea what that is.

Q3. All I know is that the override folder is where you put your mods. I have no idea how to do it or what it actually does.

Q4. I have no idea what that is.

You might should have posted these questions in the kotor mod sticky. They're pretty helpful. Oh yeah, welcome to the forums.

Guest MacleodCorp

Hey Palpy, and welcome:

- What happens when one mod conflicts with another mod? What would cause them to conflict and what steps can I take to avoid conflict? Besides removing one of the mods. *Take into consideration I know very little about mods.

Thats a tricky one. We have an application called TSL Patcher, but not all of us use it. TSL Patcher allows us to make certain universal files compatible with each other.

What happens when mods conflict: Well, it really depends on what is conflicting. Here is a small list of possibilities, but they are not limited to:

1. Similar style mods replacing similar style mods.

2. Two or more mods fighitng over the same file.

3. Universal: One modder's changes interfear with anothers.

4. Texture file overriding texture file.

5. .uti/.utc files overriding other .uti/utc files.

6. Mistakes.

7. Etc...

Action to take, which prevent conflict:

1. Remove the mods fomr the override folder, and place them back in one by one.

2. Use the mod manager.

3. Read the 'Readme' file, which accompany each mod, and follow their directions.

What is an override forder:

An 'override' folder is a folder, which is placed into you KotOR II application directory. You must make a new folder in the KotOR II directory, and rename it to 'Override'. It is the location where the game searches for game fixes and/or file substitutions. It usually loads last.

I know these may be inane questions, but I would like to know as much as possible before I try to use mods. I appreciate any help you guys can give me.

Not at all! I am glad you asked. Unfortunatly, I do not use a mod manager, so I can't get into more detail about it.

This page listed below has a list of tools and attatched forums, which people converse about various issues and tools that we use for modding:

http://www.starwarsknights.com/tools.php

Since most of the questions have already been answered, I'll just add a few little things:

- What happens when one mod conflicts with another mod?  What would cause them to conflict and what steps can I take to avoid conflict?  Besides removing one of the mods.  *Take into consideration I know very little about mods.

To add to what DarthMacLeod said, simply removing a mod from your override folder may not be sufficient to get rid of some mod effects: some data gets stored in your savegame and sometimes you have to load a savegame from before installing the mod or from before entering an area for the first time depending on the type of mod. Always make a save before installing a mod unless you are 100% sure of what you're doing. Keep Saves from before entering a new area instead of after entering.

Don't use subfolders in your override folder: it makes detecting mod conflicts much harder.

- What is this "override" folder that I hear about?  I get the idea that I need one.  What steps do I take to make one and what does it do?

Check this thread at LucasForums: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=143422

Guest Uncle Palpy
KOTOR save game editor is a tool to edit your game. Basically you can change any NPC or PC appearance (I was Bastila once) and stuff like attributies, powers, etc. It is also a good tool to use if you want to cheat but don't want to screw up your game :)

So, how does it work and how do you use it? Change their appearance? What do you mean? To what extent can you change the character? I visited the link that Lady Crimson provided, but the link didn't answer many questions.

Thanks

Palpy

KSE allows you to do about the same thing as with cheats: edit your stats, powers, inventory, xp, etc. There are also additional options such as modifying influence, edit globals (mostly for modders but useful if you encounter one of those nasty bugs), change your appearance and that of your party members, etc. If you download the file, there's a complete readme in the .zip file. (I could add the readmes separately on the site as well if people think it could be useful).

KMM is a utility that will allow you to detect confliting mods and enable disable some mods (there's a readme in the .zip file as well)