Company of Heroes

alanschu

I don't know if any of you out there are WW2 fans that enjoyed the Close Combat games, but I loved them.

The realistic tactics, combined with a morale model where suppressed/pinned down troops were unable to execute orders was a great idea for a game IMO.

The Close Combat games featured a realistic model, where a Tiger Tank was virtually indestructable from the front, not just "requiring more hits" like in a game such as Codename: Panzers. The joy of sneaking up behind a Tiger and shooting him with a Sherman was exhilarating.

I'm hoping Company of Heroes delivers the same type of experience. It has a sweet looking 3D engine, and all the terrain is deformable and can be used in strategic manner, from cover and concealment to blocking off roads and alleys and so forth. Given the realistic physics, taking out the corner of a building will cause that building to fall in a dynamic way, based on the physics engine and not some predetermined "building falling down" animation.

It's still a ways away, with a 2006 release scheduled, but if you want you can check it out.

Here's the homepage. It's not to in depth however, given the game is still a ways off.

IGN has an indepth preview that was a pretty good read.

Gamespot has a few videos and an interview if anyone is interested.

EDIT: Watching the Official Gameplay Footage at Gamespot gave me the impression that a shot soldier is down, and I saw a Tiger shoot a tank and it just blew up. Finally a game where it's not just about getting down the HP of a unit? :ohpleaseohpleaseohplease:

I really don't know about this. On the other hand Relic only makes good games and this game reminds of Freedom Fighters, a superb game, but on the other hand I'm quite bored of WW 2. I might give it a try.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds