Havok Taps Multicore Processing Power

Ah.

So it's a pseudo-64-bit processor?

I suppose that would make sense....as I imagine that changing to a 64-bit instruction set would require quite the overhaul of a chip :D

I guess this would give the 64-bit functionality that the G5 has, although not as quickly. BUT....it's possible (and perhaps likely) that there will be a new Mac processor by the time 64-bit starts getting more mainstream.

Fortunately, it finally doesn't seem like it will be too long.

They did release the Itanium, only to pull it off the market after they were sued for stealing technology, and then they released the Itanium 2, which couldn't run any 32-bit code. That was brilliant.

The AMD Athlon 64 was the first CPU to run 64-bit and 32-bit code seemlessly.

They did release the Itanium, only to pull it off the market after they were sued for stealing technology, and then they released the Itanium 2, which couldn't run any 32-bit code.  That was brilliant.

The AMD Athlon 64 was the first CPU to run 64-bit and 32-bit code seAmlessly.

FIXED! :D

Going hardware support for 64-bit and 32-bit was definitely a :lol: decision if I ever saw one.

You get people that just have to have the latest and greatest that will get it, since it'll still be blazing fast on current stuff, but also leaves room for when Longhorn and whatnot comes out, so you get the benefit for "free" and whatnot.

I didn't know the Itanium was illegal. I just thought it was overpriced :(

Grr. I guess I am fired.

If you haven't been following processors lately, the AMD 64 line is really impressive. They have a new Hypertransport technology which completely changes motheboards. Instead of a Northbridge and Southbridge which control the FSB, the processor now has a direct serial connection to each component on the motherboard. The 1,000 mHz Hypertransport boards act like a typical 2,000 mHz FSB. It's quite nice.

Yup yup yup.

I have briefly followed them, mostly right around purchasing time :)

I upgraded to the 3500+ Socket 939 in November....very nice :cool:

I like the Hypertransport (even though at first I was like...WTF is Hypertransport....who knows!....but I'm sure I'll want the 2000 MHz version :D)

Meh, so does mine.

It's so 1999 to not have gigabit ethernet :p

I don't know if I have a hardware firewall.....but honestly, I've spent months at a time with no software firewall up by mistake, and no one has done anything (knock on wood).

All a hacker will find out is that I'm a geek that plays video games :)