War of the spider queen

Weiser_Cain

Got the final chapter of the book sunday and finished it tonight.

A two day read with mixed results of exactly what I wanted and what I feared would happen.

I've been waiting for jeggred, Pharaun, and Danifae to die for months now, this last book really made he hate Danife as much as the rest of the series(including this book) made me hate jeggred. Ok two out of three but with what they did to Lloth I can't see me wanting my characters(or any of my character wanting to for that matter) worshiping a god reborn from a hooker-cleric. I was kind of in a bind from the start as I guessed what the Yor'thae were really sopposed to do and I didn't want that fate for Quenthel but I also didn't want any of the other character becomming Lloth least of all the weakest priestess of the lot. I am happy that Quenthel survived this but if I'd have been much more happy if she had become Lloth seeing as Loth seems more like Danifae+loth than Lloth with danifae.

It's not poorly written it just does a lot of stuff I hate. The Drow as a race should not be able to survive what with the having sex with just about anything and just the sheer number of drow killed everyday. Not even people could survive and elves are supposed to be near impotent and even if they weren't they take hundreds of years to reach adulthood with parents that don't care about them. Nonsense. There is such a thing as too much chaos and I was hopeing that that would be the oucome of this series, boy was I wrong. Looks like It'll just be more of the same pointless backstabbing untill the run out of ideas for new novels.

Yaw devs, Yaw!!! (

Have to agree with you on Danifea becoming Lloth - to be honest, I figured Halisstra would be the one, given the whole chaos-driven theory. But to make it Danifae? Oh, please! Although I have to admit I loved it when Q asked "why" and Lloth replied that that was it - there was no why, it was up to chaos! Made a weird kind of sense.

I'm rather anxious to see what happens with Pharaun. Talk about leaving room for the sequel! That could be a very interesting "pair" - Pharaun and . . . oh, what's her name, the demon with wings who picked his finger up. And what a way to die! <shudder>

As to the survival of the drow as a whole - it has always struck me as odd that there are sooooooo many daughters in each of the ruling houses. Like you said, they're supposed to be next to infertile, yet each house seems to have a surplus of daughters, just aching to fill momma's shoes when she appears weak. Granted, they are long-lived, and so have more time to produce off-spring, but it still seems to be a little "off", in my opinion.

And Halisstra's fate - I can definitely see her turning up in future novels. It could be a very interesting future story line. Have to wait and see.

I would have been happier with Hallistra but I knew Lloth wouldn't forgive her, and she lack confidence in her choices.

The bit with Pharaun was fine, but I don't like Pharaun and can hardly believe he's an archmage.

Halisstra will be back for sure as she's now immortal(sorta), I even like what she's become, thing is I still have that burning hatred of the new Lloth and given her new role any stories she's in will probably feature the new lloth as well.

And that bit about chaos made sense story-wise but as a guy that just spent twentyfive bucks (plus gas) on a book that only took a day or so to read, it could have made more sense to me. Then again maybe his intent was for you to hate the new Lloth?

Yaw devs, Yaw!!! (

Actually, I didn't like ANY of the characters! ;) And yeah, I think that was the point - these are drow we're talking about. And Lloth is definitely evil, so I think making you hate her was the goal. If you look at it from that view, then actually I guess Danifae as Lloth does make the best choice - she was definitely a wild cannon, you never knew what she would be up to next, so she was a good embodiment of the principals of chaos. Not what I would have chosen, but then again, I have trouble playing evil characters in my games!

I thought the relationship between Pharaun and the demon was interesting - and could lead to some interesting story lines, if only side stories. When he left his buddy to die, I would have reached out and strangled the spoiled little brat, if I could. But again, these are drow - it's what they do. Like Gromph and how he came to admire the Liche - I don't like them, but I can appreciate their "evilness" as being the eipitome of "drow", if ya take my meaning.

Even though I love Drizzt and the rest of Salvatore's characters, I thought the last few books were rather weak. I'm hoping that he'll incorporate some of these characters in his future books (since, like you pointed out, they're pretty much immortal), and that it will give the whole FR series a shot in the arm - new blood! :shifty:

Is the book written by Salvatore?

If so, I'm expecting enjoyment on par with the quality of his fighting scenes.

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

I doubt it.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I didn't mean to imply that Salvatore had written any of the books. What I'm hoping is that Salvatore will use some of the fresh ideas/characters that were created in this series to give HIS stories a shot in the arm. Fresh perspectives, and all that.

Sorry if I confused anyone.

None of the books in ths series was written by salvatore.

Well, that's good. Makes me less likely to throw them into the fireplace at first ample opportunity if someone were to give them to me, at least.

I didn't mean to imply that Salvatore had written any of the books. What I'm hoping is that Salvatore will use some of the fresh ideas/characters that were created in this series to give HIS stories a shot in the arm. Fresh perspectives, and all that.

Sorry if I confused anyone.

Please, gods, no. Salvatore taking a concept that actually works (Not that I'm entitled to say that WotSQ does or doesn't, but I'll just presume it does) and using it for his own books and stories would be like Lucas making a movie set in the KotOR era.

Ugh, I say.

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin