movies run at half screen how to fix?

when ever the game loads or runs a movie there is black bar at the bottom of the screen and I only see half the movie I have a decent vid card

Nvidia 5900xt ultra..... I have a ton of newer games that run perfectly fine as well as 3 MMO's and their opening movies are fine trying to figure out what is going on with it..... when playing the game it is fine just with the movies

Thank you very much for the help

Same card here and no problem with movies (apart from ambient sound disappearing after the movie plays, but everyone gets that).

What driver version are you using? What does your swkotor.ini look like?

"We were hoping we could bring the Xbox platform into December but didn't want to make the formal announcement until we knew an earlier ship date would not compromise the quality of The Sith Lords," says Producer Mike Gallo.

Same card here and no problem with movies (apart from ambient sound disappearing after the movie plays, but everyone gets that).

What driver version are you using? What does your swkotor.ini look like?

I am using the latest driver's from Nvidia.com 71.89 the latest Direct X 9.0c and the ini file is

well where is ini file.... I am running 1024X768..... also I might want to mention that when booting up the pc and the window's xp thing say's loading I get the same thing....

Hmmm. Might want to try a clean reinstall of the video drivers then:

Remove the old driver in the control panel add/remove programs.

Reboot.

Run driver cleaner (You can get that from here). You'd be amazed how much rubbish gets left behind by the installer.

Nobble your anti-virus.

Reinstall the driver.

Reboot.

This is without a doubt the best way to install a new graphics/sound driver. Paranoid people swear by it...

"We were hoping we could bring the Xbox platform into December but didn't want to make the formal announcement until we knew an earlier ship date would not compromise the quality of The Sith Lords," says Producer Mike Gallo.

Hmmm. Might want to try a clean reinstall of the video drivers then:

Remove the old driver in the control panel add/remove programs.

Reboot.

Run driver cleaner (You can get that from here). You'd be amazed how much rubbish gets left behind by the installer.

Nobble your anti-virus.

Reinstall the driver.

Reboot.

This is without a doubt the best way to install a new graphics/sound driver. Paranoid people swear by it...

Ok did this still doing it....... is it a setting on my actual nvidia controls?

Nothing that should have that sort of effect on something as simple as the windows xp start screen...

* EDIT * Can't find anything that sounds similar on the nVidia forums. Does this show up anywhere else, besides the game and the start screen? Anyone else want to jump in with ideas while I get some sleep?

Nothing that should have that sort of effect on something as simple as the windows xp start screen...

* EDIT * Can't find anything that sounds similar on the nVidia forums. Does this show up anywhere else, besides the game and the start screen? Anyone else want to jump in with ideas while I get some sleep?

It only happens when windows comes up and with this game only when the game loads and when the movies play for it other than that ALL else is fine.....

It only happens when windows comes up and with this game only when the game loads and when the movies play for it other than that ALL else is fine.....

Oh yeah it actually does this when I do my /run dxdiag test it does the same thing when the nivida box starts to move around its a half screen as well

"Why are the movies not properly centered during gameplay?

Movies in Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords play at 640x480 resolution. If you are experiencing movies playing off center, your monitor may not be properly aligned for a 640x480 display. Please adjust your monitor alignment while a movie is playing to resolve this issue. "

I found this in the troubleshooting area of lucas arts for this game.....

And this only happens during gameplay and Win XP load screen.... is there some way to adjust the video card to recognize this.... and still be able to play the game at my normal 1024X768....? The person resoponding to this forum constantly has the same card and has no problems so, it has to be a setting on my card...?

I've seen that sort of problem before, although not with KotOR.

On my set up - Widescreen TFT monitor - any game which tries to use a refresh rate higher than 60 fps appears off-centre to the left of the display edge. Not a problem, I just change the refresh rate in the game, use the nVidia settings to force 60 fps if the game doesn't let me, or just live with it (it's very, very subtle). None of which fits your problem very well.

Are you seeing a vertical mis-alignment? Just the bottom half or thereabouts of the movie? If so, does the game play correctly in 640 x 480? If it does (even if the movies are still off-centre) then it makes me doubt that this is the right explanation... Otherwise, they may be onto something...

There appear to have been some changes made to the resolution that movies play back at with 1.0B patch. Although the underlying quality of the movie hasn't been addressed yet (still waiting LA), the movie is played at a higher resolution that 640 x 480 now. Do you have 1.0B patch?

Oh yeah it actually does this when I do my /run dxdiag test it does the same thing when the nivida box starts to move around its a half screen as well

Would that be the third and last DirectDraw test? The full screen bouncing box?

* EDIT * What is shown under the Direct X Files tab? Any problems? It may be a directX problem. You could quickly try reinstalling Direct X from CD 1 (run dxsetup.exe from the DirectX folder on the CD).

Lots of mentions of Direct Draw test problems on the web, but nothing useful yet...

Would that be the third and last DirectDraw test? The full screen bouncing box?

yes it is the full screen bouncing box I get the same line and the line isnt vertical it is horizontal.... at the bottom of the screen say a 3" black line its like the movie is being pushed up in some way or another....

The game is in the 60 refresh rate and will not allow me to make another choice on this...

But this is again also happening on the WinXP loading. same line same distance and size on the monitor but when the desktop hits and loads everything is ok. Same thing with the game.... loading there is that horizontal line at the bottom but when the game is up and running it is fine....

Currently I am running 1024x768 rez and the card will only allow me to go down to 800x600 rez.... but it is saying that only the movies run in 640x480 is there a setting on the card itself or is the card automatically supposed to register this and go to the appropriate resolution?

Sounds like you may need to try adjusting your monitor, using the hardware buttons on the monitor itself, during the game while the movie is playing. The modifications you make while the monitor is receiving a 640 X 480 signal at a specific refresh rate should have no negative impact on your normal use of the monitor (at 1024 X 768). The "vertical size" adjustment will allow you to increase the height of the movie.

Quite right, the game won't let you go below 800 x 600 and I should have known better than to suggest it.

Just in case you missed the edit:

* EDIT * What is shown under the Direct X Files tab [in dxdiag]? Any problems? It may be a directX problem. You could quickly try reinstalling Direct X from CD 1 (run dxsetup.exe from the DirectX folder on the CD).

Lots of mentions of Direct Draw test problems on the web, but nothing useful yet...

Quite right, the game won't let you go below 800 x 600 and I should have known better than to suggest it.

Just in case you missed the edit:

* EDIT * What is shown under the Direct X Files tab [in dxdiag]? Any problems? It may be a directX problem. You could quickly try reinstalling Direct X from CD 1 (run dxsetup.exe from the DirectX folder on the CD).

Now could it also be the graphic control driver for the actual motherboard....? if that is completely out of date will it not coinside with the video card and there can be some conflictions? between the actual mother board and the video card if the driver for the mother board is not brought up to speed?

Precious little sits between the Video driver and the Video hardware; except the chipset AGP driver, but, if that were at fault, how come the problem manifests in Direct Draw (the 2D component of DirectX) but not Direct 3D, which is much more complex (* EDIT * Corrected myself here, as KotOR uses OpenGL not Direct3D). Besides which, you are talking about drivers that shouldn't be upgraded without a real good reason and a pair of rubber safety pants.

Still suspicious of Direct Draw, because the bink player FAQ page (this is the software which is used by KotOR to play the movie scenes) makes numerous references to it's dependance upon Direct Draw and what can go wrong with it. (Have a look here.)

Ok well I am going to reinstall the Directx Driver.... and go to its folder and complettely remove it first JUST in case a piece of the old DX stayed behind and is conflicting with the rest of it.... dont know.... still fighting this. I will keep playing with it.... just wish I knew exactly where to go...... or what to do its getting extremely frustrating with this black line everyonce in awhile and places and yes you are right what is it with the DX test ... in full screen mode does the same exact thing there must be a setting that I can go too to change it or what have you.

Alos you say you have about the same vide card.... My video card only offers a 60hz refresh rate nothing else and only 800x600, 900x600, and 1024x768 rez and nothing else..... will keep playing with it.

hey and thanks again for all the help