My 2cents on the new policies on this board

kumquatq3

We actually haven't come up with the "new" ways of doing things. I'm going to be posting later in the Moderator forum to start the discussion on how we should handle things.

I would like it for Way Way Off Topic to stay as un-moderated as possible. With the normal rules will still applying - no racially based posts, "bad" language used for color not for name calling, etc...

Feargus Urquhart

CEO

Obsidian Entertainment, Inc.

I would not cry if Off Topic was totally eliminated, frankly. If history proves anything, it's that sooner or later this part of the forum will become a political maelstrom of hatred, divisiveness, insult and name-calling.

Not to mention stalking... If I remember right, one of the denizens of the old Black Isle off topic section(the least productive forum in the history of the net prolly) sent a picture of himself nude to an underage girl. Real classy... Of course, stalking can occur pretty much anywhere on the net, but that place was especially conducive for it.

On the plus side, the Black Isle forums also had movie and literature sections which were just grand.

We actually haven't come up with the "new" ways of doing things.  I'm going to be posting later in the Moderator forum to start the discussion on how we should handle things.

I would like it for Way Way Off Topic to stay as un-moderated as possible.  With the normal rules will still applying - no racially based posts, "bad" language used for color not for name calling, etc...

more than fair i'd say

When the thread about the forum closing was made, I understood the reasons listed, tho I didn't nessasarily agree 100% with all of the reasons.

Now I very much appreiciate the forums being left open, but I feel this new "more strict" moderation isn't doing exactly what you hope to accomplish.

I understand that you don't like negitive press or responses (especially when it can effect your livelyhood), who does, but you will allow it (within reason). I appreciate that, but then wouldn't the mods be most effective dealing with the many threads in the K2 forum that are repeatedly posted on the same topic (more often than not a complaint of some sort)? I mean, there only needs to be one topic per legit complaint.

Or even pruning spam out of serious discussion in the K2 forums. I don't think anyone can post a positive review in the K2 forums without someone flaming him or her. EXAMPLE

EDIT: the mods have since edited the topic, but a poster said something along the lines of dragging the reviewer out and beating him with a bat to knock sense into him.

It's just I've just noticed that there has been warnings being made about some of the topics disscussed in "Way Off-Topic". They havn't been because of foul language in a family forum or anything of that nature, but due to discussion (or in reality, the joking around with) political topics. I know the mods do this because they have been instructed to in some way, so I'm not blaming them, or anyone for that matter. I think there just has been a mix up in the clarification of what you actually want.

Now, I've been in this forum since the start and have been involved in ALOT of political and religious, all very heated. The key thing is, most (if any) didn't need any moderation, much less closing. Passion about a topic doesn't mean there is something wrong. We have shown we can handle adult topics like adults and until someone proves otherwise, I think we should be able to "run on a lead" in "Way off-topic", so to speak. After all, I don't think political disscussion on these boards is why you considered closing them.

That being said, I think most of us would appreciate a little extra breathing room in "Way off-topic" for good natured kidding around as well. As you can see "serious" topics mostly stay serious (The Lost topic, my book topic, political and religious, many a sports topic, etc.)and  have stated on topic with no moderation. There is a little kidding around in every topic, but I doubt anyone gets many complaints (if any) about it. Just look at the "Lost" topic, it has been going strong for months, even if it gets side-tracked for a few posts now and then. We do a fairly good job self regulating in general, especially when a discussion gets going.

When it comes to a "light" topics in "Way off-topic", unless it gets crued, I think everyone would appreciate mods looking the other way. I don't think our recent "Kumquat vs. chimp" topic hurt anyone and everyone involved had a laugh (and look, we even had a little bit of serious discussion ...kinda  :wub:  ).

All and all, I hope you can see my point about "Way off-topic" and address our mods (who we need to thank more for dealing with the real problems) accordingly. Way off-topic is mostly filled with "regulars", those people who were around for all those weekend programmer posts. Most of us have said our peace about K2, positive or negative, and don't really discuss it as being "good or bad" anymore so much as what we would like to see done better in the future and what we enjoyed. I don't think these are the people you need to look after. If you don't see it as I do, I hope you will take the time to discuss this further.

Thanks

(sorry in advance for the many typos I am sure exist in this post)  :thumbsup:

P.S.

I think a community manager will ultimately prove to be a waste of your time and money, especially going forward. We didn't need one before and K2 discussion is easying down, as evident by the increasing K3 threads :lol: . Tho I think you might secretly  :ph34r:  agree with me on this one.

hmm, the Force is particularly strong in this one.... :ph34r:

" I dont know what weapons will be used in WW 3, but WW4 will be fought with sticks and stones"

- Albert Einstein

Yes, but you still shouldn't have quoted his whole post to just reply with a short sentence. Easier for us readers if you don't. :(

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds