This Game is unplayable w/ ATI cards

The entire prologue went incredibly smooth for me (with an ATI Radeon 9600XT 128 MB, with 5.1 Catalyst drivers). I had AA maxed and AF somewhere in mid to high range, with 1280x960x85Hz resolution, soft shadows, V-sync, etc, all on. Then, soon as the next part of the game started, I had crashes (even in the menu before making it into the game), sound stuttering/repeating, full computer lock-ups, etc. So, after tweaking for a bit, I found a nice set of options that work. I use the Catalyst 5.2 drivers, with AA set at 4x, AF off, 1024x768x85Hz, but with all other advanced graphic settings on (soft shadows, V-sync, grass). Doing it this way, the game runs perfectly without a hitch.

Note, the Catalyst 5.2 drivers alone did not fix the problems I was having at the start. Simply changing the graphic options (AF in particular) can crash the game. I went into the ATI Control Center and turned on triple-buffering which is supposed to help with framerate issues if you use V-sync in a game, so I put that on as well. However, since I haven't yet made it to open outside areas (where a lot of people have issues), I'm saving the 4.11 Catalyst workaround until I encounter those problems (if I do).

I'm disappointed that I can't make use of some of the fancy features, but the game is certainly playable at the moment.