KOTOR2 - Far more than just another "game"

Greetings,

As I've been looking through the forums while working my way through KOTOR2, I've noticed a _very_ disconcerting trend towards complaints about the storyline and plot, with specific problems arising considering the ending. Now, to get it our of the way, this is just my humble opinion, and all comes through my point of view. This means that what makes sense to me might not make sense to you, either because Im a firking idiot, or an acknowledged genuis... the point is, you decide which if you don't agree with me and keep it out of the thread.

First off, you'll find no argument from me that the game is buggy, full of (useful or not) glitches and tends to lag whenever something cool happens on screen... and then crashes in a dialogue/cu-scene before you can save the last hours work. Now while I can't say that the OE is completely free from the blame from this, there are several simple and logical reasons why the game tends not to go all 12 rounds without a TKO:

1. The biggest culprit is the Xbox itself. This game is pushing the limit of the multi-year old Xbox hardware beyond it's limits. Compared to the CPUs, GPUs, MBs, RAM and HDs available and packed into most gamer's PCs currently, the Xbox is powered by a narcoleptic hamster. Let's not forget the fact that most Xbox hard-drives are so fragmented and burnt-out by the constant save-save-load-save-reload that.... words fail me. Just remember that the hardware does play a pretty big part performance-wise. Personally I'm quite amazed that it runs as well as it does.

2. Everyone's mentioned it, because it's true, so il'' repeat it as well: Holiday Season Deadline. The Xbox version was rushed out the door tin order to try to take a slive out of the very-merry holiday market-share for video-games. Nuff' said.

3. Which brings us smoothly and neatly into the the third point, a PC version comes out in Feb. This always seems like "Oh, make me buy it twice, gee-thanks..." The missiong Xbox content (HK Factory, Mandalorian recruiting bonus: missions.....) will most likely be makerted as 'exclusive contect" for the PC, but thats the way the world works. I don't mind though, I'd get the PC version wholly for the modding scene regardless.

Ok, now for common complaints about the game itself. One thing I won't discuss here is continuity relating to anything other than KOTOR1; this means I'm not going to argue literary canon one or the other, just going to leave things in the perspective of the Star Wars universe as shown in the two games. Things I will be happy to discuss are plot-lines, characters, placer-npc interactions (i.e. influence), game engine differences and their comparison to KOTOR1 AND whether I think the new systems are better than the original (and of course the reasons why.)

_The Ending_

Last things first, because it seems to be the most discussed and misunderstood portion of the game, and naturally because the finale only makes sense when you look at the preceding portions of the game in context. Many people are upset that the ending leaves you with no sense of resolution... no climactic battle between good (or evil) and evil (or good.) It just leaves you staring off into the nebula of another galaxy, wondering what happens next. I personnally didint have any problems with it, because from my view everything got sorted out. Maybe it has to do with perspective, and mine is that the "end" of the game encompases everything from the point when you confront the last of the Jedi Masters, be it to kill them or convince them to meet on Dantooine. From that point on you're playing the end-game, where the dejarik board is uncovered bit by bit until you can see all the peices, and most importantly, your actual opponent.. The climax comes in the battle over Telos on the Ravager and carries over into your confrontation with Sion on Malachor V. The remains of the game following that are really not your own story, they're Kreia's. Her journey, her story, must end so that yours can go on. When you take these meetings (Atris, Visas on the Ravager, Nihilus, Sion and finally Kreia) slowly, ask your questions and contemplate the answers you get, all the shadows and deceit are lifted between you and Kreia, as she promises in her dialogue if you get enough influence with her.

_The Ending: An explanation (Read if you still have trouble grasping it)_

The meaning behind the end sequence isn't simple, and wasn't supposed to be. It was made to be extremely complex and designed to force you to consider a variety of questions that can't, or won't, be answered without each player considering the choices they've made throughout the game. The ones that can be answered by someone else can only be done so in a general sense which I'll try to do here. Kreia, of course, ran things from the beginning. She manipulated, twisted, and bent everyone and everything around you from the very beginning of the game. She did this, quite simply, out of love and a need to understand you. She forced you to confront endless challenges and choices, caused you to doubt everything and everyone, forcing you to relive the path you took during the Manalorian Wars until you had again reached the point you had when you turned your back on the galaxy, and most importantly the Force, on Malachor V. Without collecting followers again and dealing with people throughout the galaxy again... without that interaction you would have remained deaf to the Force. Without the strife and constant threats you faced you would not have had the impetus to grow strong, stronger than any of her students before or since.... maybe even stronger than Revan. This she needed, to train one as powerful as you had the ability to become, and she loves you for it, loves you enough to force your hand to destroy her if need be so that you would be even stronger for it. On the other side, she needed to understand how you had lived without the force, as you had. To her, there was never any distinction between Sith and Jedi... there was only the Force, and you were the battleground her war against the Force was fought on. When she finally understands that you were given no choice but to turn away from the Force, I think she see's that while one can live without the Force, the Force isn't something tha can be itself removed. So, there at the end of the journey, in the center of Trayus on Malachor V, she forces you into the only choice she knows with become more powerful, powerful enough to follow Revan's path out into the Outer Darkness and fight in the war against the true Sith Empire, in whatever way, as she says, one can hope to fight them.

A note on the Mass Shadow Generator: if I recall, it was the weapon that Bao-dur built for the Republic, a doomsday device that could be used to end the war once and for all. Secretyl though, it served Revan's purpose, to create enough death to leave a large echo in the Force, large enough to channel the power of that echo into breaking the will of the remaining Jedi, converting them to his cause.... and perhaps large enough that it could be used to wake the Star Forge and give him a means to build his new armada.

_Your Companions_

This is a much debated subject, but only one that can be truly understood if you take the time to gain the influence needed to convince, or make, them offer up their secrets. This is one of the areas where this game shines, imho, simply because the choices you make about who to influence and how will both open some up, or deny you others. This game is about choices from the very beginning, so choose who amongst your companions you wish to explore, or train as Jedi. For male characters: Atton, Bao-Dur, and the Handmaiden. For female characters: Atton, Bao-Dur, and the Disciple. If you're light-side to slightly dark-side you can get and convert Mira as well, while if you're fully dark-side you'll get Hanharr... There isn't a 'choice' between these two as it is completely based on your alignment at the time you go to see Visquis in the Jekk'Jekk Tarr. Both are worth having, so dont feel upset over which you get, as Hanharr can be used to gain an amazing amount of DS points, as well as special lessons from Kreia and a few stat/force bonuses for yourself. At the end of my last game, I had abused Hanharr into trading 8 of his Int points for Str points, 4000 exp and a load of DS points, as this convo-option remains and can be repeated. Suffice to say a raging, dual-wielding wookie critical-striking with 30 base strength is a sight to see.

To finish this part up, all I can say is to take your time with your companions, work on gaining influence for them, and question them to constantly. Also, many converstions and interesting trivia can only be had from them if you dont neglect your skills and seemingly meaningless stats. As an example T3 can only be fully opened up with a high enough Intelligence, Computer and Repair skill. Awareness, Wisdom and Persuade can open new doors in many conversations throughout the game. This leads nicely into the next section.

_Building a Character_

If you want to enjoy the journey through the game as much as possible, I suggest playing through the beginning as a Jedi Sentinel with a decent starting Intelligence (14 is good) and a good starting Con (14 is also good.) You wont lose access to any of the prestige classes by doing this, as they're based on alignment, not starting class, and there are more than enough levels to be gained and stat-boosting items to be found that you should 20+ in all the important combat stats by the end of the game (Strength, Dex, Wisdom and Charisma.) Also, a high Con early in the game will make a huge difference simply because of the implants that are available. After my first play-through using a consular, I no longer bother using any class except a sentinel. When it comes time to choose a prestige class at level 15 then you can choose to specialize, as the starting classes other than sentinel have no redeeming features, while the prestige classes are filled with great special abilities. This is one feature of the game that both mirrors and greatly outshines the first game, I think. Also, planning out who you will train as a Jedi and when is very important. Converting the Handmaiden to a Jedi Guardian at level 20 leaves little room for her improvment in wielding the Force unless you plan to use the Hssiss trick to reach the level cap. It might be a good idea to stop actively levelling a character when they've reached a point that you are ready to convert them. Also considering that the Handmaiden is by far the best unarmed fighter you gain, even after converting her to the ways of the Force it might be worth keeping her unarmed and focusing her force powers on Master Speed, Energy Resistance, Force Deflection/Redirection and Force Body. The unarmed fighting system is definately another boon for this game.

As far as powers go, unlike KOTOR1, nearly every power you can choose is worth taking. The trick is simply focusing on the powers that support your playstyle. Overall through, with Force Storm, Force Wave (or Stasis Field, or Horror), either Death Field or Master Heal, there isn't a single normal fight in the game you shouldn't be able to win without having to resort to swinging your lightsaber at something. In the Trayus Acadamy, with my Wis and Cha boosted to 26 and 24 respectively, a single force storm would kill just about everything in a room, and death field finished off the rest and left me fully healed having barely used any FPs. If you happen to pick up Force Crush on your play-through, there almost isnt any point to paying attention to the remaining 'boss' fights. Just queue up Force Crush a few times and the fight will be over, even against the dreaded triple-lightsaber attack. If I have one complaint about the powers that is the one I'll complain about. At around level 30, Force Crush will kill non-bosses in one use, even if they save, and kill most bosses in two or three applications... where is the fun in that???

_Adivce for Playing for Maximum Enjoyment_

As grand as the title for this section might be, the advice I can give can be summed up into one sentence: "Take your time playing through the game." If you finished in the absolute minimum amount of time, congratulations, you missed more than half the game. This game is a journey, not a race to reach the prize at the end.... hence the fact that their is no prize at the end. Go get yourself a comfortable seat on your couch, put the disc back in the Xbox, call off any plans you have for the next week and spend as long as you can just enjoying the journey as you play through the game again. I've been through the game three times now, and my last playthrough took around 70 hours.

This is truly a game meant to be savoured, where the time you put into it has a definitive effect on what you'll get out of it.

All I can say now is "Bravo Obsidian" and wait for the PC release encore to see what they add, or re-add, to the game... as the band plays on.

-horus -lvx-