Did anyone else have this problem?

Okay, so I turned in the merchant on Telos who said that he sold the weapon I found. I first confronted him about it, saying "I'll tell the authorities" and he told me that I'd never have the evidence. Then Grenn told me that he appreciated the help but he couldn't do anything without evidence. So I figured I'd go and try to get evidence. I talked to the merchant again, and suddenly he trusted me even though I threatened to turn him in, and he sends me on these missions to get things for him. The whole time I'm assuming that I'm gathering evidence for Grenn, but then it turns out I don't have the option to talk to him about the whole thing before the flight is set up and I end up killing lots of TSF agents and getting dark side points for the whole thing. What gives?

Actually, what really upset me in the first place was that I had to kill people to even get that stuff.  What I wanted was some clearance from Grenn to perform an undercover investigation...

I did get clearance from Grenn...I don't remember the specifics..but after the smuggler told me everything he needed I told Grenn and he gave me the stuff and asked me to sent up the bust.

LS - the way I did it anyway: (I'm not sure if you can both do the merchants tasks AND get him arrested - I'll have to try it next game)

spoiler space

I found out what he wanted. Then went back to Grenn - a quick cut scene and Grenn gave me the three items. Then back to merchant with the goods, then cut to you and merchant at docking bay and Grenn will come in to arrest him when merchant meets with Czerka people