Dialogue

I posted this already, I know, but I wanted to make sure it was heard (if the dev's are still listening and can implement this at all)

So, without further adieu, here it is:

I'd like player initiated dialogue AND NPC initiated dialogue. In KotOR they half did this; after a while, it would prod you to talk to someone, but that's not them initiating anything. I'm sure the blow it off or push it til later buttons would be there.

That reminds me - in the first game, you can blow someone off but you never get to even suggest they say it again. I don't like this; it's bad gameplay and it's unrealistic. When you say, "not right now," it shouldn't mean, "never speak to me again, A-hole. Screw off."

Even better, I'd like down time - designated areas where characters talk down-time things, and more active areas where they say active things - stop searching through my pockets (ToB reference), you always do this wrong in combat, etc.

"action" dialogue would be a good point to have rivalry, as well - kill counts, point scoring for different hits, etc.

NPC banter should be completely skippable.

They had NPC initiated dialogue in Baldur's Gate II and it was (and still is) a nightmare for a lot of people. The triggers weren't very well defined and often the NPC would decide they desperately needed to talk to you about their feelings right before you went into battle with three vampires, a golem or two, and some werewolves.

Personally, I like the fact that in KoTOR the NPCs would let you know they wanted to talk, and you had the option of when. You can, indeed, speak to them later after telling them no, you just talk to them and the "You have something on your mind?" type dialogue option would pop up along with the standard "What can you tell me about this place?" At least, it should. :( Some NPC dialogues are only good up to a certain trigger is reached, then it becomes moot, so the option goes away.

If they'd worked on the triggers for NPC initiated dialogue, that would be fine, but if it was still as haphazard as in other games, definitely no thank you. ;)

Never assume malice when stupidity is to blame.

...often the NPC would decide they desperately needed to talk to you about their feelings right before you went into battle with three vampires, a golem or two, and some werewolves.

I loved that facet of the game. Sometimes I'd make up dialogue just before a battle.

*sappy music starts playing*

Viconia: There's something we need to talk about.

Me: Yes?

Viconia: It's about the new girl in the party. The wingless elf chick.

Me: Isn't she nice? It's good to have a wizard again.

Viconia: Yes, she's nice. She's too nice. She gets on my nerves and that voice.

Me: Ahh, I'm sorry. Would you like me to help you work it out?

Viconia: No, sweetie. I want you to kill her.

Me: But Viconia, I can't! It would be wrong.

Viconia: If you love me you'll do it.

Me: But...

Viconia: Just send her into the next room alone. It won't affect your alignment or anything.

Viconia: DON'T YOU 'BUT' ME! I'LL TURN MY ROMANCE GLOBAL TO ZERO SO FAST IT'LL MAKE YOUR HEAD SPIN!

Me: *sheepishly* Ahhh, okay sweetie. Anything you want.

*sappy music ends*

*Elf girl prances into the other room and soon her death screams fill the air*

*Screams end*

*Sappy music begins*

Me: Happy now, snookums?

Viconia: Yes. Now about this paladin fellow that's always hanging around...

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

There will be no instances in K2 where you will be prompted by the game to ask a CNPC what's wrong. Any issues or problems the CNPC has can be brought up if you ask them, or will occur in a context-relevant event. There will be instances where they initiate conversation with you, but it won't always be about their companion quest or whatever problems they're having.

Cool. That's what I like to hear.

Hey, what else did I expect from this team? :p

Adria: I agree, except I found it tedious and lacking in character (the way they implemented such prompts, instead of initiations). It's a minor complaint on my part, but it really felt like, "this game mechanic is talking to you" instead of, "this character is initiating something." It really could've been done better, and I'm not sure why it wasn't. Honestly, if they're going to force game mechanics on you, why not force game mechanics on the game? ala, do the absolute command that cuts off all dialogue. I think NPC dialogue should also be skippable, though a prompt would be nice - I don't want to hit a key accidentally and miss something I wanted to hear. The option would be nice to have, and less of a hassle for everyone who wanted the NPC stuff by being a simple, direct way to allow powergamer's (or jaded people who hate stories of the video game variety) the option, instead of forcing some wierd, out of place game mechanic on them. Again, some people don't mind as much, but they wouldn't mind this improvement, would they?

Although, I DO like it happening every now and then. The first time it was neat, the second time it was, too. Admittedly, it was only a mild annoyance to the, "let's talk about this frilly, emotional matter right before a blood bath" type thing.

Hmm... I suppose I didn't edit out that last part in my first post, which was only applicable in the other thread. Will do.

There will be no instances in K2 where you will be prompted by the game to ask a CNPC what's wrong. Any issues or problems the CNPC has can be brought up if you ask them, or will occur in a context-relevant event. There will be instances where they initiate conversation with you, but it won't always be about their companion quest or whatever problems they're having.

Excellent, quite excellent. Thank you!

Hee hee hee, that Viconia dialogue is priceless!

And agreed, Nightcleaver. Considering I do so much scripting work, I pay attention to the dialogues, but my husband, who wants to do the various quests, but gets tired of the "sort and click" of getting to them every replay, most DEFINITELY agrees with you!

Never assume malice when stupidity is to blame.

...often the NPC would decide they desperately needed to talk to you about their feelings right before you went into battle with three vampires, a golem or two, and some werewolves.

I loved that facet of the game. Sometimes I'd make up dialogue just before a battle.

*sappy music starts playing*

Viconia: There's something we need to talk about.

Me: Yes?

Viconia: It's about the new girl in the party. The wingless elf chick.

Me: Isn't she nice? It's good to have a wizard again.

Viconia: Yes, she's nice. She's too nice. She gets on my nerves and that voice.

Me: Ahh, I'm sorry. Would you like me to help you work it out?

Viconia: No, sweetie. I want you to kill her.

Me: But Viconia, I can't! It would be wrong.

Viconia: If you love me you'll do it.

Viconia: Just send her into the next room alone. It won't affect your alignment or anything.

Viconia: DON'T YOU 'BUT' ME! I'LL TURN MY ROMANCE GLOBAL TO ZERO SO FAST IT'LL MAKE YOUR HEAD SPIN!

Me: *sheepishly* Ahhh, okay sweetie. Anything you want.

*sappy music ends*

*Elf girl prances into the other room and soon her death screams fill the air*

*Screams end*

*Sappy music begins*

Me: Happy now, snookums?

Viconia: Yes. Now about this paladin fellow that's always hanging around...

hey that whas pretty cool u know, keep doing things like it!!!!!!!!