[Feedback] Need sensible reasons to do White March

I finished the game today. And the White March region was left unexplored. I think it's a waste of an expansion that, storywise, I didn't have sensible reasons to go to that region before finishing the game.

By the time you are given the first quest of White March, the disasters caused by Thaos and the Leaden Key have become more prominent. It would make little to no sense that, storywise, your Awakened state is becoming more and more troublesome day by day and also Thaos and the Leadon Key are endangering the world, yet you leave those issues behind and go to explore White March instead.

The Master Below, despite being an optional quest, too, I had sensible reasons to do it first. That's because the steward told me that the Master Below would strike me sooner or later if I don't take action.

I'm not expecting you to modify the story for the aforementioned reason. I'm just letting you know this feedback of mine so that maybe there wouldn't be such a regret for any players in your future projects. Alternatively, you could consider modifying the game mechanism so that after you defeat Thaos, you can choose to not retire yet and continue to do the remaining quests, just like how you designed it in Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir.

Edited by IanTheWizard

18 hours ago, IanTheWizard said:

you could consider modifying the game mechanism so that after you defeat Thaos, you can choose to not retire yet and continue to do the remaining quests

I'd like this opportunity too. End game you can choose to keep on doing side quest, dlc and go around the world as you like :)

• Like 1

There is no good reason to go to the White March. The game tries to create a false sense of urgency - "if you don't deal with your soul, you'll go mad!" A reasonable person would try to get the problem over with as quickly as possible. Few people would go to the White March, and even fewer would get involved in the scuffles between the archmages. The White March is in a sense "Pillars of Eternity 1.5", a kind of game that never was. It's great in terms of mechanics, game balance, but it doesn't fit in with the rest.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Chaospread said:

Oh, yes, but you could do the white march to prevent an Eyeless invasion :)

Never heard of that in game.

1 hour ago, Chaospread said:

For Crägholdt issue, you have to avoid troubles for Caed Nua.

From what I have learned, those mercenaries were having a conflict with an archmage and showed no hostility towards Caed Nua. I don't like to kill people who are not ill-intentioned against me. Therefore, even if I had the chance to do the remaining side quests, I would not do this one.

Edited by IanTheWizard

On 7/27/2024 at 1:21 PM, IanTheWizard said:

Never heard of that in game.

You're, you knows it later. But Stalwart ask you for help, it stands to you if accept or not. It is a RPG choice, but if you don't know what are the problems, how can you tell if they can be an issue for Caed Nua? Perhaps it's better to take a look, and if you go there you see an Ogre's attack and you'll be aware there are weird troops movements from Readcerans...
But this is the "weaker" part, you can go to Stalwart, free it from Ogres and you're done, ot let them just make do.
I think WMII patch that up with Abidon's question and so on.

On 7/27/2024 at 1:21 PM, IanTheWizard said:

From what I have learned, those mercenaries were having a conflict with an archmage and showed no hostility towards Caed Nua. I don't like to kill people who are not ill-intentioned against me. Therefore, even if I had the chance to do the remaining side quests, I would not do this one.

Mmm, yes and no. They attack you on sight after a first warn, if I had a castle near a heavy armored troop with warring attitude maybe I'd be worried...
Anyway, you're right there are not so "strong" reasons to do WM. But from a RPG perspective some characters can have right motives to do it, on the other hand.

The real problem is that your character doesn't know how quickly the main quest evolves, but you as a player know you have plenty of time to do it... usual crpg issue 🤷‍♂️