After yesterday's patch (10/07/24) I can no longer load my save files

Jose Lopes

Question

Hi,

I have Pillars of Eternity installed via Steam. Yesterday Steam auto updated the game with the latest patch. When I launched the game, I can no longer load my save files. The "Load" and "Continue" buttons are greyed out.

If I open "%USERPROFILE% \Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity\" on windows explorer I can see a bunch of files, which look like save files. So I believe the save files are still there but it seems the game doesn't recognize them or something like that.

Is there a way to revert the patch / update?

If not, is there a way y'all can upgrade my save files so they can be loaded with the latest version of the game?

If not, can y'all patch the game once more so it can load my save files?

What else can be done?

I purchased the game recently and I'm loving it so I would really like to get back to it, ideally, without having to start with character from scratch.

Thanks,
Jose

4 answers to this question

Note that this isn't official advice, but have you tried backing up the save files and reinstalling the game?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I have this same problem. I hadn't played in a couple of weeks and now the game doesn't find the most recent save files, which I can find easily. The game only finds the very first save I made, which is in the temp folder.

3 hours ago, Valmo said:

I have this same problem. I hadn't played in a couple of weeks and now the game doesn't find the most recent save files, which I can find easily. The game only finds the very first save I made, which is in the temp folder.

You might be missing one or more of the DLCs that were accidently included in a previous update. There is a workaround but your best bet would be to contact support for assistance with the issue.
There's instructions on the specifics in the following post:

Edited by Kvellen